Best Way to Protect against iPod scratches?

Sepulchre

macrumors member
May 27, 2002
UK
One of the case's such as those supplied by Apple now would do the job.

Pitty they weren't around sooner though, as mine's now scratched to bits :(

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
You could give me the iPod :)

I think like death, scratches on the iPod are inevitable (how on earth do you spell that ;)) You could make it have a slightly less scratched back by buying a leather or similar case, but I am not sure how good they are ;)

Ensign

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
Re: Best Way to Protect against iPod scratches?

Originally posted by swahilibill
What is the best protector against iPod scratches, thanks,
Let it stay inside the box in wich you bought it and don't use it art all!
:)
hehe

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
Getting rid of scratches.

I don't know much about protecting against scratches ( You should take a look at MY iPod!), but I do know that wood polisher for tables and such will go a very long way. For all of you who did not know how scratch prone these are, go try it out. It won't make it new, but then again it doesn't cost $299 to do, more like $2.99 :) .

If there are any more suggestions on ridding iPods of those terrible scratches post 'em here, we're all in this together.

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
damn, i got a new ipod and the protector and it still scratched. apple has to make less fragile products!!! as for gettign them out, maybe an iron? It would melt the plastic enough so the scratches would go away. Its an untested idea. Ive seen it work on wood before, so maybe a low setting iron might fix plastic aswell.

Tell me what u think

MacMaster

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Originally posted by G5orbust
damn, i got a new ipod and the protector and it still scratched. apple has to make less fragile products!!! as for gettign them out, maybe an iron? It would melt the plastic enough so the scratches would go away. Its an untested idea. Ive seen it work on wood before, so maybe a low setting iron might fix plastic aswell.
Do not do that to your ipod!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Sepulchre

macrumors member
May 27, 2002
UK
Anyone know of any methods to remove or reduce the scratches to the front or back of the iPod.

If you reference any products for this, can you supply a UK version please :)

bidge

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
New Zealand
How badly is it scratched? I remember the day took my iPod out of the box, it was so clean and new. Now though it is rather different looking. However, I say just use it, even if you get it looking like new again won't it not like new after a while.

The thing I am most interested in protecting is the plastic over the screen.

Since this is about fixing iPod scratches what's the most drop that you've done.

I've dropped mine twice, once half a meter onto the corner of my wooden chair and of another seat onto carpet. Only noticeable thing afterwards was that the scroll wheel was rather loose.

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Originally posted by hitman

A fine argument for a Titanium iPod. :p :D
Fine arguement for Apple actually stepping up and making their product less fragile. i mean, how can something be a portible device if its too fragile to be used w/o a heavy duty carring case that takes all the joy out of the creative styling.

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Philadelphia, PA
Originally posted by Sepulchre
Anyone know of any methods to remove or reduce the scratches to the front or back of the iPod.

If you reference any products for this, can you supply a UK version please :)
Go to iPoding.com. They have (as well as someone here) mentioned that wood and/or car polish will work on minor scratches on the plastic. On the steel back, however it's a bit tougher.

A guy at ipoding.com sandblasted the back to make it matte. While i don't recommend it, it's a possibility.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.