Best way to protect my 13" Air from wear? Case, Sleeve, Bag?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by JerTheGeek, Jun 26, 2014.

1. JerTheGeek macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

I just replaced my 11' Air with a 13' Air so I need a good means of protection for it. I have two different cases from Amazon to decide which one I like better, one is a "leatherette" snap-on hard case/shell, the other is a sleeve that is meant to open and close with the laptop, in other words it stays on when the laptop is open. My question is, what is the best protective option to protect my Air from scratches, dents, and maybe even an accidental drop? i had my 11' air for over 6 months and never dropped it, but i want something that would protect the Air if i do happen to drop it. I carry my Air in a duffle bag when I do take it out, but this isn't very often, maybe three times a month at most. SO what do you guys think is the best option to protect my Air?
    thx in advance
    JerTheGeek:)

2. friedkimchi macrumors regular

friedkimchi

I used a Speck transparent hard case + a generic Neoprene case.
    You can carry it in hand or just dump it in any bag.

The only negative that I would say is that the heat management might be affected which forces the fan to spin up more than necessary.

3. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

I have a black Speck case and it's very effective at protecting my MBA from dings and scratches. I think it looks nice too. I haven't noticed any heating issues or anything like that, but it might be because I'm not pushing my CPU very often.

4. motty2307 macrumors regular

I just got an Incase neoprene sleeve for mine and find that it works very well for traveling. I haven't dropped it (yet!) but as far as scratching it seems to protect it very well.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Actually, I have stopped using sleeves or bags on my MBA. I did buy an excellent leather sleeve from TwelveSouth, and a different one form Saddleback; both were excellent, but, frankly, were too bulky and took up too much room in the briefcase in which I transported them.

These days, my MBA travels in a solidly constructed leather briefcase, and I have two; - I use one from Saddleback and one from the Colonel Littleton company (the Saddleback is for when I need to carry quite a lot of stuff). Frankly, the MBA is extremely well protected in the briefcases; if I ever feel remotely twitchy, I simply follow the example of the inestimable late Mr Jobs, when he unveiled the original MBA to stunned acclaim several years ago by demonstrating that it would fit into an A4 envelope. Occasionally, I have used a padded A4 envelope and have found it works perfectly well.

6. gbredneck macrumors member

Another speck user here, have them on my 11 and 13" air's and 2+ years on and they both still look like new.

They seem expensive but do the job well.

7. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Best way to protect from DROPS :0

Now does anyone have a case to use to protect from drops while the Air is open, or is the best advice to just be careful?

8. Kaylor, Jul 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2014

Kaylor macrumors regular

Kaylor

The best advice for that is always going to be to be careful and not drop it in the first place, but the Booq Viper might give you some drop protection in transit, not if you're using it though. I'm not sure how I feel about their switch to a magnetic closing system from a zippered one.

9. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I've used the Moshie iGlaze on my 13" Air for almost a year now and I am very happy with it. Super light, nearly undectable, zero bulk added and very durable. Outstanding protection and well worth the $50.00 to protect my investment. Love it!