Best way to protect sides of the iPhone without a case?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by mrat93, Sep 2, 2013.

1. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

I plan on getting the 5S in the coming weeks, and I'm not too keen on buying phone cases. A while back, I bought a full body film for my iPhone 4S, which included pieces for the front, back, and sides, but I can no longer find that product. Does anybody know of a site that sells full body protectors including sides?

2. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

Try sticker boy! They have sides that cover the chamfer as well.

3. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

It looks good, but a little expensive. I can get a front and back protector from XtremeGuard for $1.50 total. $15 is a little much for just the sides.

----------

What's your trick to being a accident-free human being?

4. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I had Best Skins Ever around my 4S (took it off for a case) but it's a clear plastic wrap that goes around the sides of the iPhone. Its like 6$ on the Best Skins Ever website. Or there are a variety of vendors on eBay that sell "wraps" for the iPhone for SUPER cheap. I had a black sticker wrapped around the entire band of my white 4S. Looked awesome, kept the sides mint.

5. Infinitewisdom macrumors 6502

The problem with the skins is that they're hard to put on, they don't cover the chamfers AND they're expensive. Triple whammy of sorts.

I find that a really thin case like the Caudabe Veil is perfect. I don't even give my case a second thought these days because it's worked so well and provides minimal but good protection. For $15 or whatever, it's a pretty cheap way to get some good minimal protection.

This is what I'm talking about: http://www.caudabe.com/collections/iphone-5-accessories/products/the-veil-frost

6. webslinger85, Sep 2, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013

webslinger85 macrumors 6502a

webslinger85

Expensive if you go with a brand like Zagg, sure. But there's brands out there that are superior, and cheaper

If you want just straight up clear skins, try these/ I have the full body matte set and you can't even tell there's anything on it.

Or check out www.luckyskins.com. I've used the Spectra wraps and love them

I should mention as well, BSE is having a labour day sale oday, so jump on it while you can

7. archrider macrumors 6502a

archrider

My best idea for what you want is a very minimal bumper. The Power Support is very clean and minimal in black or silver. http://www.gadgetmac.com/reviews/power-support-flat-bumper-for-iphone-5-review.html. Protect only the aluminum part of the back with a clear skin like http://www.spigen.com/iphone-5-screen-and-body-protector-set-steinheil-ultra-crystal-mix.html. The Gorilla glass is pretty indestructible if there is lay on the table protection from the bumper. I find this exposes as much of the iPhone as possible with moderate protection.

This provides both bumper and back protection.http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=B00AND3NA8&linkCode=shr&tag=httpgadgetc07-20

8. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

Is there a code for Luck Skins today? Thanks!

9. webslinger85 macrumors 6502a

webslinger85

I was mistaken, i thought they were having a sale but they aren't

10. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

Boo:( Thanks anyway!

11. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I put the skins on my 4S without issue, the wet install kind. Honestly, it's not hard, it seems harder than it actually is.

Also, they're not expensive. Like I said bestskinsever.com has them for like 5-6$. Great quality, long lasting. When you remove them, no residue.

I dont have a 5, so I can't comment on the skins covering the chamfered edges, but I'm sure the wrap itself protects well enough.

12. hagr182 macrumors regular

Clear bumper, though its sort of a case. Zagg or similar is your best bet.

But with iPhones getting thinner and thinner a case is almost a must, unless you are very careful and have uber reflexes (Hey, accidents happens to a lot of us!).

The other option is to get a "fabric pocket" to house your phone on your pocket while not in use so it does not scratch up, sort of the one that came with iPod Video back on 06.

I love :apple: ´s designs but with the thin designs phones and ipods become more delicate (A friend of mine slightly bent his iPod touch on a corner by using it on his pocket while out for a run).

On my part I use cases because Id rather have my phone look bulky and pay 50+ USD for the case, than to break a device I cannot afford to replace, but that´s just me.

If you find a solution that fits your needs, could you please post pics here? It would be helpful to others looking the same things as you, and who knows, might I pick one up some day.