Best way to restore contacts from Itunes to phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kal78, Sep 18, 2014.

1. kal78 macrumors newbie

Good morning!

I was messing around with my phone today trying to get enough storage to download the IOS update (which i am going to do on itunes now instead) and I somehow lost all contacts except for the most recent! I have no idea how this happened my have something to do with turning iclouds back on and then off? I dont use icould anymore as i dont want to purchase more storage so i back up using itunes. I backed up my phone to itunes on my computer last Friday so its a pretty fresh update.

How exactly do i go about getting the contacts from my itunes accound to my iphone? I only ask because i dont want to lose them perm! When I plug my phone into the computer itunes automatically is going to back it up, will this cause a problem, do i need to stop it and hit restore? Does restore go back to the factory settings or the last backup?

Thanks for any help! Im just worried about loosing so many contacts so i want to do it the right way.

2. kerr macrumors member

If you are so concerned about not losing your contacts, why are they not online in something like Google Contacts?

3. writingstone macrumors newbie

using google contacts

I am experiencing a similar issue, could you tell us a little on how you guys use Google Contacts?

4. mofunk macrumors 68020

mofunk

Always back up from my Mac to an external drive. That's if you are on a Mac. Also back up to your computer.

You can use iCloud but don't use the backup feature. I have several of my iOS devices backed up to the computer. iCloud is turned on so that it can make changes on the Mac and iOS devices.

You can turn off sync on your iPhone in settings, then turn it back on.

5. kerr macrumors member

Always store contacts in the cloud so that you never have to worry about losing them. Even if you don't use Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo Mail etc, create an account with one of these email providers if only to store your contacts. Then on your phone or tablet you can link to that online account. If you lose your phone or get a new one, again, you just link to the online account.

6. writingstone macrumors newbie

how can i take contacts that I had synced with my outlook server that were saved to the iPhone & now that 4s phone stopped working but I still have wifi etc connection to it & can plug it into my mbp. I now have a iPhone 5

Can I sync those 4s contacts to iTunes then to iPhone?

7. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

I would simply recommend sticking to using iCloud to pass the contacts on, if only temporarily.

8. writingstone macrumors newbie

Right I got that part, how do I take all the contacts off my phone & put them into the cloud. There was a previous chunk that were added via my old outlook account, is there like a merge thing with contacts?