Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 25, 2007
I was planning to wait for Jelly Bean to come out via my carrier update but it looks like it will definitely take a few more months to come out, so I would like to root my International S3 to install Jelly Bean (and also get the many benefits of rooting). Has anyone here done it? Is there a good article/tutorial available that shows how to do it on a Mac?

Thanks in advance!

towg

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2012
Cardiff
I was planning to wait for Jelly Bean to come out via my carrier update but it looks like it will definitely take a few more months to come out, so I would like to root my International S3 to install Jelly Bean (and also get the many benefits of rooting). Has anyone here done it? Is there a good article/tutorial available that shows how to do it on a Mac?

Thanks in advance!

I rooted my i9300 (thats the international version) using this guide:

http://galaxys3root.com/galaxy-s3-root/how-to-root-galaxy-s3-on-mac-osx/

It was very straightforward and took around five minutes. After that you simply copy the chosen rom file and Gmail apps file to your device and install via Clockworkmod. Instructions can be found in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2OYIDuHV6M

I first installed Cyanogenmod Jellybean which was pretty fast and responsive. Its the most popular custom rom for the S3 and can be found here:

http://get.cm/?device=i9300&type=nightly

Theres also a barebones version of JB called SuperNexus which is worth seeking out if you want a minimal OS.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 25, 2007
Thanks for the info and links towg! :)

I will check them out and root/install Jelly Bean following those steps later today.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 25, 2007
Success!

Rooted my S3 and intalled Cynamogenmod 10 with Jelly Bean! Need to load all my apps and set everything up. Good stuff, can't wait to have everything ready to mess around with it and Google Now! :D

Thanks again towg, the links were very helpful and easy to follow :)

towg

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2012
Cardiff
Success!

Rooted my S3 and intalled Cynamogenmod 10 with Jelly Bean! Need to load all my apps and set everything up. Good stuff, can't wait to have everything ready to mess around with it and Google Now! :D

Thanks again towg, the links were very helpful and easy to follow :)

No worries. Have fun experimenting!

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 25, 2007
Wow Jelly Bean sure has turned my Galaxy SIII into a beast:

Geekbench Score: 1822 :eek:

Before in TouchWiz it was scoring around 1530. The phone feels much faster and it no longer has the annoying homescreen redraw bug that TouchWiz has. It has also made the phone work with the Android File Transfer app, didn't work before. Awesome.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Wow Jelly Bean sure has turned my Galaxy SIII into a beast:

Geekbench Score: 1822 :eek:

Before in TouchWiz it was scoring around 1530. The phone feels much faster and it no longer has the annoying homescreen redraw bug that TouchWiz has. It has also made the phone work with the Android File Transfer app, didn't work before. Awesome.

I absolutely love AOSP ROMs (AOKP, CM9/10, Paranoid Android). I never used TouchWiz because I rooted and flashed PA from day one.

Android File Transfer doesn't always work with PA but is flawless with CM10.

What ROM are you using?

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 25, 2007
I switched from PA to CM10 a few days ago. It has come a long way since the days when there was a memory leak and now they also fixed wifi tethering :D

Nice :) This is the first time I've used it and my SIII is my first ever Android device. The CM10 has been working wonderfully so far, no lag, bugs or crashes, excellent performance, great battery life, can now use the Android File Transfer, Tethering is not spotty like it was in TouchWiz, etc.

Last edited:

towg

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2012
Cardiff

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
So far my experience with CM10 has been flawless, great stuff.

I love the new CM File Manager! Looks and feels so much better than Root Explorer.

I can't wait to try CM on my future Nexus 4. Codeworkx already tweeted that he's going to be getting it but I mean it's a Nexus device so of course CM will be available for it :D

towg

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2012
Cardiff
Hehe, well that's still an amazing score :) Is yours the international version with quad core like mine? It is quite fast. So far my experience with CM10 has been flawless, great stuff.

Indeed it is the int version. I've got Supernexus which is a completely stripped down AOSP version of Jellybean. Thought it would be faster but alas no :(

Its still less than a quarter as fast as my Macbook though!

mankar4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2007
USA
This thread might be convincing me to go gs3 for my next phone.
- How does CM 10 compare with the official jelly bean?
- I don't know much about android product cycles; would I be foolish to buy a gs3 at this point in time?

Thanks guys! I appreciate your help on this.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 25, 2007
This thread might be convincing me to go gs3 for my next phone.
- How does CM 10 compare with the official jelly bean?
- I don't know much about android product cycles; would I be foolish to buy a gs3 at this point in time?

Thanks guys! I appreciate your help on this.

I have not used the official Jelly Bean yet but as far as I know, the CM10 is the official Jelly Bean with some extra stuff put into it by the CM team. I think that you also don't get the direct updates from Google for it, so you need to wait for them to release their ROM to update after a new version of Android comes out.

As far as the S3 goes, if you can get your hands on an international version (quad core processor) then go for it as that version is more future proof than the US version with a dual core. Samsung is rumoured to present the S4 around March, yet considering how well the S3 is selling, it will likely be later than that. If I had to speculate it will be around May, a year after the S3 was first released.

mankar4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2007
USA
I have not used the official Jelly Bean yet but as far as I know, the CM10 is the official Jelly Bean with some extra stuff put into it by the CM team. I think that you also don't get the direct updates from Google for it, so you need to wait for them to release their ROM to update after a new version of Android comes out.

As far as the S3 goes, if you can get your hands on an international version (quad core processor) then go for it as that version is more future proof than the US version with a dual core. Samsung is rumoured to present the S4 around March, yet considering how well the S3 is selling, it will likely be later than that. If I had to speculate it will be around May, a year after the S3 was first released.

Thanks for your help.

I would but I do I understand correctly that the international version does not have LTE?

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Last edited:

mankar4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2007
USA

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
I am well aware of that but Evoken suggested that he get an international one because he thinks it will be more future proof.
Ehh its more of a wash. The snapdragon s4 has much faster cores though. There about the same with the snapdragon having a huge advantage in single and double threaded tasks. It also has 2gb of ram.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.