Best Way To Sell an iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by morty192, Jun 27, 2012.

1. morty192 macrumors regular

Hello all,

My iPhone 4 contract is up and I'm probably looking to keep hold of it for a month or two yet, closer to October the better but not too close to massively hurt resale value. I have heard some scare stories about ebay (buyer claiming phone doesn't work and ebay taking the money of you - buyer gets free phone) so am just wondering what is the best way to sell in the UK or would trade in be a good idea?

Many Thanks

Morty :)

2. AR999 macrumors regular

eBay, its that simple.

You'll find scare stories about anything.

3. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Craigslist. You meet in a public place, you get cash instantly, and there's no risk of being scammed.

4. morty192 thread starter macrumors regular

Carphone Warehouse will give me £250 for trade in in-store though, will ebay really better that price?

5. AR999 macrumors regular

Sounds like a pretty good deal for an iphone 4 if thats cash in hand, is that money off a contract through or cash?

6. morty192 thread starter macrumors regular

If done in store they put the money on a credit/debit card. Check yourself on their website

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's not entirely true. Plenty of scary stories when dealing with craigslist. People have been scammed from viewing the actual phone and given an empty box when not looking, not to mention bait-and-switch.

----------

You can get a lot more on ebay if you jailbreak and unlock.

8. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

If you are lazy to find a place that is willing to offer a high price for your iPhone 4, I would suggest simply checking with your carrier. I've heard many carriers who offer customers to trade in their phones to offset the phone price they're going to get! Also, its simple and convenient. You can bring your old phone to the store and pass it to them while at the same time sign a new phone with the price offset by your old phone! I have heard of stories of people having to pay almost nothing for new iphones by trading in their old iPhones ;)

And that is assuming, of course, you're getting a new phone with your carrier and wants to sell your iPhone 4.

If you simply just want to sell off your iPhone 4, I would certainly suggest trying out the smaller retailers and stores in your city first. Major retailers like Best buy or Carphone warehouse, which I assume that they do buy old phones from people, would always have prices most probably below what those smaller retailers would offer.
    You might want to try online: You may potentially get a big buck for selling it online. How about trying ebay and even craigslist?

9. dw3bb10 macrumors 6502

Craigslist. Ebay is GREAT for buying, but for the last couple months ive taken a liking to Craiglslist for selling things. Its easy, fast, no shipping involved, nor do I have to pay someone! With ebay, you're going to pay Ebay a nice sum for posting your phone and selling it.

10. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

I've used Kijiji in the past, fast and you get to meet the person instead of shipping etc

11. andyx3x macrumors 65816

The more likely scams are bad ESN's when people have no idea what a bad ESN is or means. Or buying a water damaged phone. Most people don't even think of water damage as a potential problem and wouldn't know how to tell in the first place.

12. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Very true- which would be a great reason to meet in a store and wait for it to be activate before the money switches hands.

There have been plenty of suggestions on here about carrying a small, but powerful flashlight to check the water sensors as well.

13. aliensarecool macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

best place and way to sell 4s to put towards the iphone 5?

Suggestions?

14. iPusch macrumors 6502

iPusch

ebay? :confused:
    I never really sold any of my devices yet cause I am too dumb 4 that hehe, still have an iPod Touch 2G and an iPhone 3G at home which I hate so much but if I would sell it now I would get nothing wouldn't I?

15. chokem macrumors 6502

I've sold many devices on both eBay and Craigslist. If you have a good feedback score, it's been my experience that you can get 10 or 15% more for the device than on Craigslist. Both are solid choices IMO.

16. redred macrumors member

Craigslist 1000%. I've sold dozen of electronics over the years on the site with no issues.

You simply need to take the time to put up a good ad and be courteous over email. Meet during the day in a commercial area or inside a coffee shop. Be very kind to the person once you encounter them. Assure them they can email or call you if they have any issues post transaction. And accept cash only. Ask for small bills and if you want to be super safe, purchase one of those markers they use at grocery stores that checks for valid currency.

I sold something on Ebay years ago and was shocked by how much they charged me. Craigslist all the way.

Another option OP is Amazon's trade-in program. I got $280 Amazon credit for my first gen iPad earlier this year. Right now a 32 GB iPhone AT&T is going for $300 in like-new condition.

17. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

Craigslist. Just meet at a bank or decent public place and have the buyer with cash. No way to scam unless you're the one scamming :rolleyes:

18. Bchagey macrumors 6502

eBay.

Craigslist will just be a bunch of lowball offers, spam email, time wasters. If you put on eBay, it will be sold and gone in one week easy..even faster with a buy it now price.

----------

You would get get about 80-100$ for your iPhone depending on condition and if you have original box or accessories. Not sure about the iPod touch 2g..maybe 40-50$? More or less

19. k3roro macrumors 6502

I sold it via eBay, but I've heard craigslist is good as well.

If you just want a hassle-free sale and don't mind it being for a lot less, then try Gazelle.

20. willmtaylor, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2012

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

If someone is taking the time and effort to help you out, be a pal and give a link instead of being lazy.

21. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

You could try this.

22. Steve.P.JobsFan, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2012

Steve.P.JobsFan macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

The Genius Bar just swapped my iPhone. So it's practically in new condition. It may have some scratches on the display. How much should I expect to get? I've got the original box, and all the accessories.

23. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

The highest price... unlock it and sell it internationally on eBay. Very risky.

But I agree with the others on eBay. Craigslist really depends on the market of your city. If you live in a small backwater town, good luck on Craigslist. But if you live in a sprawling urban area with a big market for such tech then Craigslist might net you the same price as eBay while being a little more reliable/safe.

24. brandyboot macrumors member

brandyboot

most of my second hand gadgets are from ebay... ;)

25. robinthoms2 macrumors newbie

Yes not only craigslist is good but also swappa is a big name in smartphones sales purchase ,Here i would also like to talk about movaluate , before you device sell or purchase on ebay, swappa or craigslist dont forget to check its current market value at Movaluate.