Best Way to Sell iPhone 5 w/ AppleCare+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WoodrowCall, Sep 14, 2013.

1. WoodrowCall macrumors 6502

WoodrowCall

I currently have a 16gig iPhone 5, and I'm planning on getting the iPhone 5S. My question is: what's the best way to get my money's worth for my 5? I have AppleCare+ that I have never made a claim for, so right now I'm wondering if it's not the best investment to *eek* break my 5, take it into the store, get a flawless phone in return, for the $50 fee, and either trade that in for credit towards the 5S, or sell it on Craigslist or ebay. My 5 is in good condition, but has the normal scuffs, etc. for a phone that is a year old. Thoughts?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Gazelle is offering $315 for a 32GB AT&T iPhone 5 in normal use (normal scuffing, no cracks)

3. jnick macrumors member

Apple will give you a pro-rated refund in AppleCare. Call them up and get a check for around $45-$50. Then just sell the phone as normal. It's the best option IMO.

4. /V\acpower macrumors 6502a

Actually the replacement fee is 79$ with Applecare+

Which is the same price as a battery replacement.

Basically, if your Phone is in normal "wear and tear" condition, you will get a "new" iPhone for 79$ no matter if you have Applecare+.

If you break it simply to use one of the 2 accidental damage repair on the 2 year plan, the only difference will be that you will have lost one physical damage repair, because for the same price, you can get the exact same result with a battery replacement. (They will take your old phone, give you a new one).

So my advice : simply sell the phone for about 50~60$ more than you would normally have, explaining that Applecare+ cover accidental damage for the whole year to come, which is really the best iPhone "protective case" they can buy.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

Fwiw, there is a processing fee for canceling AppleCare, so you get less than the prorated amount back.

Also, it's still $49 to get an iPhone 5 replaced under AppleCare+. $79 is for iPhone 5c/5s.

6. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

This is off topic but was curious. if you have AppleCare+ and a black iPhone, could you have them switch it to a white iPhone if they are replacing it due to damage?

7. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Nope. They will replace with the same model/color only.

8. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

Ok. Thanks for responding!