Best way to sell my 2010 quad-core 27" iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by PatriotInvasion, Oct 25, 2012.

1. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Hi all. I'm looking to sell my iMac and get a rMBP but it has become more difficult than I anticipated.

I normally have luck selling iPhones on Craigslist but there are way more people in the market for a $300 iPhone than a $1,200 iMac. I have never sold anything on eBay and there is already plenty of competition there. Plus don't want to deal with the hassles of shipping a 30lb expensive piece of machinery and don't have a PayPal account. And don't get me started on the laughable offer from Gazelle.

Just curious - for those who have sold iMacs, what is the best route?:confused:

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You could try the Marketplace forum here on MacRumors. I think you qualify. You won't get top price but its fairly safe.

3. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

craigslist is where I always sell my apple stuff. Might take some time for the iMac but im sure there are buyers out there. Just meet at a public place and you will be good.

marketplace as well if you can use it.

4. aneftp macrumors 68040

Which quad core? i5 or i7?

I sold my core i7 late 2009 27 iMac for $1100 within hours of posting it on Craigslist. If you live in a big city, there are graphics designers or photo editors etc enthusiast who will want the 27 inch imac.

There is a market for iMac resells especially 27 inch imacs.

5. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

2.8 i5. Yea, I live just outside of Boston so if I wait long enough I'll sell it for a good price. Plus, if I take advantage of Apple's 0% APR financing on the rMBP, I'd essentially have 12 months to sell the iMac:rolleyes:

6. InlawBiker macrumors 6502

Craigslist is by far the best route. Desktops are not in as high demand as laptops so you just have to wait for the right buyer.

eBay takes around 15% with fees (including PayPal). Plus as you say it's a hassle to ship something so big.

Check the current iMacs on Craigslist and see who your competition is. If you want to sell it faster make sure yours is more attractive.

7. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Sad thing is I love my iMac, but can't resist the latest and greatest the MBP line has to offer.:eek:

8. mcpix macrumors regular

Maybe this is a sign you're not supposed to sell!

As great as a new rMBP would be, I don't think I'd sell my iMac to get one. Maybe you could use the year to figure out something else to sell instead!

9. AbeFroman77 macrumors 6502

Same here man.

10. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Well, I'm tired of my slow mechanical HDD. And I also have a SeaGate drive in there which Apple has issued a recall on and needs to be replaced. My ideal set up is rMBP + Thunderbolt Display but that is SOOO expensive and it's apparent that Apple will update the current TB Display with a thinner design in the coming months.

So, I'll get the rMBP now and maybe the TB Display in a few months if updated (and if I can stack enough coin to buy one). To me, this gives you the same benefits of the the iMac with the portability of the rMBP.

PS - There's the iPad option I guess, but the iPad is very limited compared to OS X.

11. aneftp macrumors 68040

I looked at Boston Craigslist. Most 27 inch iMacs selling for $1000-1250.

Expect another $100-200 price drop over the next 12 months if you decide to hang on for another year.

I think you are unwise to wait to sell. If you want to sell. Sell it soon.

The longer you wait, the less you will get.

12. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Sold my 27" iMac today for $1,150 in Boston. I'll miss that big beautiful display but looking forward to an updated Thunderbolt Display to take it's place in the coming months.