Best way to set up my kit (time capsule, airport express & appleTV)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by benstanton, Mar 6, 2012.

1. benstanton macrumors member

Hi guys,

I have the following devices;

Macbook Pro
    2TB Time Capsule
    Airport Express
    AppleTV

What is the best way to have it all connected and configured. At the moment, I have 3 different wireless networks (including my broadband). My broadband router connects to my airport express via cat5. The airport express then connects to my amp (under the TV). The Apple TV connects direct to the TV.

What would be best method of hooking it all up? Can I daisy-chain router-->airport express--->timecapsule

Thanks in advance

Ben

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

The one rule for home is the router nearest to the ISP modem should be the ONLY router doing NAT (Network Address Translation).

So in Apple routers set them to 'Bridged mode' to turn off NAT when they are behind the router that is connected to the ISP modem. This way all the devices in your Home will be in the SAME subnet (192.168.0.X = the first three 'octets are the same = same subnet) for internal file sharing, etc.

To setup the Airport Express see this video How to set up Bridge Mode on Airport Express.

3. waynep macrumors 6502

I have done this . . . Use the Time Capsule for you main router connected to your incoming network and use it to create a secured (WPA or WPA2) home wireless network (and guest if needed). Use that for you Macbook Pro, Apple TV etc. You can then use the Airport Express as run sound somewhere else or a portable router that you can take places with you.

Wayne

4. benstanton thread starter macrumors member

This is now how I have set it up. Thank you. I now get audio in the bedroom :)

Ben