Best way to ship an iPad to a potential employer

Discussion in 'iPad' started by The X Factor, Apr 11, 2011.

1. The X Factor macrumors member

Hello all,

I bought the iPad 2 for one purpose – so I could create a digital resume and portfolio of my professional work experience and send it to potential employers. I’m fortunate to be employed right now, but am looking to relocate for family reasons. I’d like to FedEx my iPad 2 to a potential employer in order to entice them to interview me, but wanted to create this post to see if anyone had any “good ideas” or “solutions” for how to send it?

Basically, I figured I’d simply send it as “a box in a box”

The outside box would have the potential employers address, and the inside box would be pre-labeled with paid postage and my address as the ship-to address. So basically, when they open the package, they’ll see an iPad in an opened box.

That way, they can ship the iPad back to me when done. (Hopefully they won’t need to ship it back to me because I’ll be interviewing with them ;))

Thoughts? Recommendations?

I’m O.K. with buying a “nicer solution” if anyone has any ideas?

Thanks.

2. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Why on earth would you do this? Why would you think they are going to ship it back?

This is a gimmicky and costly idea that won't likely result in anything. Also, you are limited to one resume out at a time. That is impractical.

Please, nix this whole idea. It is just silly.

3. vito macrumors 6502a

Just place the iPad 2 in a manila envelope and include a self-addressed extra inside so when they're done with it they can post it back to you!

On the outside you can right, "iPad 2 Inside - Do not view in a dark room as screen experiences bleeding and resume may not be accurate"

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Seriously?
    Just do a PowerPoint presentation. I'd seriously question the judgement/sanity of a potential employee sending me a $500+ device with a multimedia resume. Who's to say they won't keep it as a bribe? ;)

5. blevins321 macrumors 68030

First thought of a potential employer? This dude doesn't need a job. He somehow manages his finances fine since he can afford to send iPads to strangers.

6. ani23 macrumors 6502

Either the dumbest idea ever or most obvious troll.

7. The X Factor thread starter macrumors member

lol, well I guess I opened myself up to some criticism.

I probably should have qualified my post.

I make $100k+ a year and the cost of the iPad is irrelevant to me. (not bragging, just trying to put it into perspective).

This is for a senior executive position in a fortune 500-type company.

In today's economy I felt it was prudent to distinguish myself from the million other resumes these companies receive every day.

Also worth noting, I'm sending the iPad to the CEO or Chairman (of their Board).

So, it's not like I'm sending it to the "employee recruitment department"

Thanks again for the feedback.

8. ani23 macrumors 6502

9. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

It's still a ridiculous idea. Also, you can specify that you're sending this "resume" to the CEO, but theres not a chance he will get it, especially for a large company. You don't actually think the CEO has anything to do with hiring, do you?

10. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I suspect many of the posters around here hold down burger-flipping jobs and have no clue what you are trying to accomplish here. But if you work in digital media and can command a great salary, this is a pretty clever way to market your skills. Six-figure jobs demand six-figure strategies.

That said, I think you are looking at some issues.

1) Need to make absolutely sure you enclose some kind of disclaimer that this is not a gift and you expect it back. You give the appearance you are encroaching on a company's ethics guidance policies when you do things like this and you don't want to make a potential employer uncomfortable or you'll get the wrong kind of attention.

2) Second, I personally think this would work far better if you did not give them a self-addressed way to ship it back to you. Make it clear you expect to pick up the iPad after they've reviewed your resume/portfolio, even if their answer is a "not interested." You are selling yourself, you are willing to go THIS far, why not take it to the next level? I'm assuming you aren't sending out this iPad to blind job opportunities but rather are targeting your search to just a hand-picked few. If thats the case, you already have some brass here...why not go for the gold pair?

3) If you still want to do the ship to/ship back, spend a few extra bucks on some really nice packaging and maybe even pay for a professional courier to pick up the iPad instead of leaving it to them to drop it (ouch) into the FedEx box? Adds a little more professionalism. I'd also be more impressed if the iPad was encased in something creative. Like a big leather pouch or something that made it stand out in my daily mail.

Good luck, I applaud the approach but I think you've got a few more details to plan.

For the record, my current marketing VP was hired when she sent over a complete set of design specs for how she would re-brand my company, website, letterhead, logo and all. She even threw in some faux press releases and took one of my current ads and rebranded that too. That took her a LOT of work but when I opened it there was just her card with a handwritten letter attached that said basically "You could look so much better with me there." Totally blew me away. She's been fantastic in the role ever since.

11. The X Factor thread starter macrumors member

Yes, he does. When you want to be the President, Sr. Vice President, or Vice President of a company...Yes, the CEO is the one doing the hiring, not someone in the "recruitment department."

Geezzz.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Design jobs excluded ...

You cannot be serious. The CEO is NOT reading mail being sent straight to them first. He or she has an admin and that admin is reading the mail. That is likely to be the second person to see it because in many companies packages are opened up by the mail room. CEO mail may be the exception, then it goes to the admin who WILL open it.

Who cares if the cost of the iPad is irrelevant to you, your idea that the CEO is going to get a sealed package first is inane. If he or she sees the iPad then I'll be slightly impressed. I believe sending an iPad with a resume is more pompous than clever, but that is just me.

Finally, my company has a department that handles the hiring. The CEO doesn't do anything more than interview and he only interviews direct reports. I believe you're a bit off with your fantasy idea of how this will work out. Geeez. :rolleyes:

Keep your 100k a year job that you have now.

This from someone who hasn't flipped burgers since her teenage years. :cool:

13. PeeZam macrumors newbie

If we're gonna be putting things into perspective

I have a $100k+ a year salary too, and I value the cost of a dollar. I send my resumes on plain white paper.

The 500$ difference can be donated to Japan's recovery.

To be fair, its whats in the resume, not what its on.

14. The X Factor thread starter macrumors member

Great feedback. Much appreciated.

On point no. 1, will do, good idea.

On point no. 2, maybe I'll go ahead and emphasize that "I'll pick it up when we meet...as it's not intended as a gift, etc., etc." (something to that effect)

On point no. 3, agreed. I'm actually sending these in Portenzo cases. But obviously, not shipping just the Portenzo case. I'll need to pack it in something. Let me give this some thought. I do agree, creative packaging would be a nice touch.

15. deeddawg, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011

deeddawg macrumors 604

I don't know what field you're in, but as a hiring manager my first reaction would be "WTF?!?!"

Maybe it's just me, but I'd be questioning the candidate's ability to consider the potential consequences of his/her actions. Either that or I'd question the candidate's interest in working if the value of an ipad is of such little consequence to send it out in such a circumstance.

It would also make me uncomfortable in terms of feeling responsible for the security and condition of the ipad.

Edit: I'd written this before some of the responses and your clarification. Based on the VPs, SVPs, MDs, and C-levels I've worked with in Fortune 100 and above, I can't think of a one who would not see this as a gimmick. Then again most of them are old-school and not super tech savvy. Introductions tend to happen via mutual contacts or shared associations. Your field may be different; the biggest thing I'd say is whatever vehicle you use, do it in a manner where there's not a direct or implied imposition on the recipient.

16. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Ok, given the position's details that you provided, this is a bit more understandable now :)

I would definitely (unfortunately) put some instructions in there on how to turn on the iPad and open the necessary apps to view your materials. Sad reality that there are many executives that have never touched a computer, especially those within large companies with many lackies.

Edit: Addition - it would be truly awesome if you sent Portenzo cases along that matched their destination's color scheme.

17. ILikeTurtles macrumors 6502

I pissed myself laughing when I read this post.

WTF? If someone mailed me a resume on an iPad, I would immediately delete the resume, and give the iPad to the special-needs man who delivers my inter-office mail.

Just sayin.

18. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Lmao! Some of these posts cant be serious. Buy a dog on SD card and ship it.

19. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I can kind of see how within certain circles, this might not be such an exhorbitant idea. However, I'd think if you are in that kind of position, you'd have minions to work out these kinds of details for you, instead of having to come on to MacRumors yourself. Heck, even in our tiny law firm, where we don't have the kind of money to toss iPads around as resume presentation devices, the partners never mail anything out themselves, or pick up the phone to make airplane reservations, or walk a block to the electronics store to pick up printer cartidges. That's what we lowly staff members are for.

20. iTunes-Luv macrumors member

iTunes-Luv

Instead of sending iPad, why don't you send your resume and portfolio on high quality color paper. Will catch the eyes better and eliminate the "WTF???"

Also CEO/President may not want to waste time to open the iPad to see what's inside

21. Cubsfan macrumors member

I guess if I was in that position, I'd be annoyed that you just send me a chore. Now I'd have to spend time sending the thing back to you or have someone do it for me.

22. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Forget FedEx and leather cases. Deliver it in a Bentley!

Joking aside, what's wrong with contacting the guy yourself? Sending a tech toy to pitch yourself for a high-level position seems a bit detached and impersonal. You're sort-of implying the CEO is shallow enough to be impressed by something shiny (assuming he even bothers to turn it on). There may even be a concern that such a device arriving unsolicited in the mail could be used for spying. It has two cameras, a microphone and a 3G internet connection back to Base. I'm not sure security would allow it anywhere near the C-suite.

I think you need to find a more personal way of being introduced.

23. jonhcox macrumors regular

I applaud your idea. As a freelance designer who dearly misses steady full-time I can say that creative approaches to delivering and presenting yourself are certainly worth the effort. I have used Prezi for a few attempts at getting my foot in the door and received much praise, only to find that budget constraints kept me from getting hired. That said, both people wrote letters of recommendation for me and I was able to get more freelance work. My seventeen month old now has a college savings account because of it. In a time where the economy is healing slowly and companies have withdrawn (personnel-wise), being creative with how you present yourself is a must. They do notice.

24. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If you don't know #1 then you haven't worked in a $100,000 per year job.

25. Sdevante macrumors 6502

Just thinking through the legal aspect of things; you can request that they return the iPad to you and what not, but how can you impose the duty on them to place it in the mail, Fedex, UPS, etc?

Seems like this would work better if you just brought the iPad with your portfolio to an interview.