Best Way To Ship Canadian iPhone 4 To Europe

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dexdexter, Sep 5, 2010.

1. dexdexter macrumors newbie

Hello!

I've got a factory-unlocked iPhone 4 waiting at a friend's in Toronto to ship to me in Europe after this holiday weekend. I've seen loads of them coming and going on eBay, so I know there are a lotta folks getting Canadian iPhones shipped overseas. Of course, the tricky part is figuring out how best to ship the phone without getting slammed with excessive customs and brokerage fees.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. :)

2. draz macrumors 6502a

Get someone who is taking a trip to Europe and ask them to bring the phone with them :p
    That is really the only way to get around the customs charges lol (but then you could be caught for lying to customs because they are bringing the phone in and leaving it there)

Otherwise you can just send it via UPS, FedEx, etc... WITH INSURANCE.
    Expect customs charges, unless your friend finds a reason to declare it is something else besides an iPhone.... >_>

3. JCCL macrumors 6502a

It would be a lot easier and cheaper for you to get one unlocked for Europe like from UK

4. dexdexter thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I'm beginning to understand that. :)

However, there is a very specific reason that I don't want a UK/European iPhone. :confused:

I recently purchased a 5th-generation iPod nano to use on my daily run. I couldn't wait to get it home and load it up with music. But when I cued-up the new reissue of The Rolling Stones "Exile On Main Street" and hit 'play', I was pretty underwhelmed by the nano's performance. With the volume at the maximum, I just couldn't find the sweet-spot for a proper listening level. I thought my nano was defective.

Poking around online, I soon discovered that iPods sold in Europe are limited to a specific output volume in accordance with European Union regulations. In other words, Euro Big Brother forces Apple to throttle the amplification of any iPods sold within the EU. Needless to say, the nano went back. :(

Now, since then, try as I might, I have not been able to turn up any definitive information, one way or the other, to indicate whether iPhones sold in the European Union have this kind of restriction or not.

So I determined that my safest bet to avoid disappointment was to seek out a factory-unlocked Canadian iPhone 4. :cool:

5. dexdexter thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, getting it shipped FedEx International Priority, which should get it to me sometime Thursday. :)

6. ikaveh macrumors regular

does it take any tax?
    how much is tax+shipping?

7. dexdexter thread starter macrumors newbie

Shipping should be about $125.00. Will know the duty when it arrives. So altogether it shouldn't be too much more than getting a European iPhone 4, but al least I'll be certain that my phone isn't crippled by bureaucrats...;)

8. dexdexter thread starter macrumors newbie

My iPhone 4 arrived safely this afternoon. No duty charged and no brokerage fees...:cool:

9. izimzis macrumors member

seriously you are going to start getting deaf around 70....at least when you are hunderd you wont hear ****....still b happy and enjoy it :)

10. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Max volume restrictions are there for a reason. Your hearing might already be damaged.

It would be better for you to invest in noise canceling headphones instead of jacking the output up to maximum

11. dexdexter thread starter macrumors newbie

Point well taken. But it's kinda like buying a sports car only to find out that the throttle has been restricted to the posted highway speed limit; all the headroom is missing.

Just got the FedEx bill and it was only $78, so I came out about $60 ahead as opposed to buying an iPhone here in Europe! :)