Best way to switch from AT&T to Verizon on iPhone 5(?) launch day (3 lines)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by satchow, Mar 5, 2012.

1. satchow macrumors 6502

I'm planning on bringing all 3 lines on my account from AT&T to Verizon (due to AT&T refusal to unlock their phones). Usually I just upgrade 1 line at a time due to the staggered contract expiration dates.

I don't recall being able to reserve more than one phone online and I'd rather not camp out. Is my best option to just wait until the crowds/demand die down and go to the Verizon store?

2. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Unless you're planning on moving to another country, Verizon doesn't unlock their phones either... nobody does.

3. satchow thread starter macrumors 6502

I travel for business a lot, a few times a year internationally, that's why I would like it unlocked.

4. Indecisi0n macrumors regular

Indecisi0n

Well you can't just join a network that doesn't unlock their phones and then become all pissy when they tell you no. If you don't like the way they operate then take your business elsewhere.

5. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Only have about 8 months to figure it out, thank goodness you made this thread now!

6. satchow thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm so confused by this reply. Why the animosity? I'm not being "pissy", I'm doing exactly what you're saying and trying to take my business elsewhere. When I signed up for AT&T they were the only carrier to have the iPhone, and now that Verizon and Sprint both have the iPhone and are willing to unlock them internationally I have the choice to change carriers. I don't know why you chose to post this reply.

7. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Don't take it personal. Some people get great joy by flaming other people for seemingly no reason at all.

8. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

uh thats kind of the whole point of this thread... He is trying to take his business elsewhere lol.

9. aristobrat macrumors G5

When the iPhone 4s came out, I switched from AT&T (mid-contract) to Verizon for that very reason!

I travel internationally a few times a year, and I was tired of having to take company-provided "loaner" BlackBerrys. It's been great this year being able to use my iPhone instead! I really really really love iMessage, which is essentially free international txting with other iOS users back at home.

If I had three lines to switch over, I'd see about doing as many as I could online first. I don't remember for sure, but I thought you could pre-order two iPhones. If so, I'd do that, and then consider showing up at a local Verizon store on launch day to move the third line over.

10. brianbunge macrumors 6502

brianbunge

Where do you travel internationally? You may want to do some research before deciding to change because Verizon's technology is not compatible in most other countries. Also, no carrier in the US unlocks iPhones, AFAIK. It would probably be cheaper in the long run to pay someone to unlock your phones for you. I've heard of people doing it pretty inexpensively.

11. aristobrat macrumors G5

The iPhone 4s is a "world phone", meaning it supports the CDMA technology that Sprint/Verizon use, as well as the GSM technology that AT&T and most of the world uses. Verizon does unlock their iPhones.

12. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Did you not read his post?! That is exactly what he is trying to do take his business elsewhere.

13. MsRandall macrumors 6502a

MsRandall

Sprint will unlock their iphone 4s to with good payment history and a request after 6 months too.

14. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

Hate to say it but only way to have it unlocked is to either jailbreak and unlock if one is available or buy one full retail factory unlocked...

15. brianbunge macrumors 6502

brianbunge

Sprint? You mean "the now network, because they might not be here tomorrow"? That's the last carrier I'd ever consider...

16. aristobrat macrumors G5

Verizon will unlock iPhone 4s so that you can use other carriers when traveling internationally. That is a fact.

17. satchow thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you sir. I have the same problem as you, sure the company gives me a Blackberry to use, but I don't want to piss off my employer with excessive data/voice usage bills. Hopefully I can get more than one phone online, if not, the rest of my family will be using flip phones until the iPhone 5 gets restocked.

18. pdr13 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Have you figured out yet that this forum represents the propaganda arm of Ma Bell?

19. Indecisi0n macrumors regular

Indecisi0n

I read it as you were whining because ATT wouldn't do it. My bad.

20. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

Just checked and you are correct as long as you have been in good standing for 60 days... Good to know