Best Way to Sync Music and Apps Outside of iTunes

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by barr08, Aug 12, 2010.

1. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

Hey all,

After jailbreaking and getting my phone exactly the way I want it, I've decided I don't want to have to use iTunes to manage my music and Apps. I just reformatted my PC, and now iTunes wants me to totally wipe my iPhone and start over - this is unacceptable.

So I would like to manage my music outside of iTunes, but prefereably still using the iPod app as opposed to a third party one. I did a quick search and found nothing on the forums. Googling has led me to a few ideas, but they all seem dated. I am not familiar enough with SSH to figure this one out by myself.

Apps may be trickier, but there are a number of apps I have downloaded through Cydia, etc. that I would need to re-download if I wiped my phone.

Any tips or advice would be great here. Each successful thread I post takes me one step closer to leaving Big Brother out of my smartphone experience!

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I don't think there is a real alternative for the App part.

As far as your music goes, this is what I would take a look at; for Windows: Foobar2000 is pretty good, Linux Amarok takes the cake, and OS x "Play" used to work pretty good Haven;t use it recently... check those out.

3. barr08 thread starter macrumors 65816

barr08

A lot of my friends use Foobar for music playback on their PCs. So you can use this app to recognize the iPhone and sync music onto it?

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I don't think it does by default but there used to be an addin for it. I think it was call fooboo or foodop or something like that. The true is that I haven't use it for a while.

5. barr08 thread starter macrumors 65816

barr08

Sharepod looked promising but it says the iPhone is not writable. Any other ideas?

6. barr08 thread starter macrumors 65816

barr08

Can I SSH directly to my phone and put the music where the iPod app stores music?

7. Riley2323 macrumors member

You need to wait for the Mewseek update.....follow on Twitter @mewseek this software will do what you seek.

8. barr08 thread starter macrumors 65816

barr08

I will keep my eye on this.

Any other suggestions for the mean time? If I get PwnPlayer, could I easily load music on without iTunes?

9. young1nj macrumors newbie

did you see pwntunes.

I would check it out again.

I have it and I love it, it basically turnes your iphone into a usb device.

you can still use the ipod app too.

if does have limited ability with creating playlists.

but I think it is great and well worth the $

10. A420Turbo macrumors member

Senuti has worked great for me. I had to use it to bypass itunes when a friend wanted me to upload some music to her iPhone. I think its only for mac tho

11. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

iTunes is great if you like "backing up" and "syncing" i.e. erasing everything off your iphone. Screw iTunes.

Get copytrans manager free edition for PC. It's great.. copies over music, videos, podcasts, video podcasts, ebooks, and ringtones. You can music info such as artwork, id3 tag info, etc. The latest version works with ios4/iphone4, but not ipad yet. It's superior to senuti and pwntunes crap because this is free and the device doesn't need to be jailbroken.

12. barr08 thread starter macrumors 65816

barr08

Wow, perfect. Thank you very much for pointing this software out to me. Works like a charm, way easier than all the other ways I tried (and I tried them all!).

Pwntunes would be a better solution, but I don't want to pay if I don't have to!