Best way to take great 4S photos?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by outsidethebox, Apr 7, 2012.

1. outsidethebox macrumors member

After looking at so many of the amazing photos people have previously posted in the many "Post your photos taken from your 4/4S" threads, I am really surprised. I have been really disappointed with the output of my 4S's photos, the sharpness and colour seem to be nowhere near what some of the people are posting here even after I try editing them in-phone.

I have tried using the standard camera app, instagram, and then I bought Camera+, but regardless of where my photos end up (flickr, facebook, email) they never look nearly as good as what people have here. They are always dull/not sharp and I can see a lot of noise even in bright shots during the day.

I've been using DSLR's for many years so I understand the in and outs of photography, but I just can't seem to get good photos out of it. Any advice? Could there be something wrong with my camera, or are most of these people editing their photos on their computer and just not saying?

2. William.Mantle macrumors 6502

3. outsidethebox thread starter macrumors member

As I wrote, I've tried using the camera app as well as instagram and Camera+.

4. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

The very first step is for everyone to turn their iPhone sideways into landscape (horizontal) position. This is the biggest mistake I see with new iPhone photographers. There are time when portrait mode is best but not as often!

5. outsidethebox thread starter macrumors member

I always hold in landscape mode. I even use the grid, and always hold as steady as possible (as I said, I also use a dslr).

It's really frustrating, even my friends with blackberries seem to be getting better pictures than me, in sharpness, colour and in clarity.

6. TheLegend macrumors member

TheLegend

For the majority of your pictures, just hold it sideways, tap to focus, adjust it a bit and take it. The flash on the iPhone isn't all that great, so I'd recommend turning it off. For photos with lots of colours like a sunset or a landscape, I'd recommend HDR.

I'm sure you knew most of this, but this is just about all I can tell you.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Post some of your pics up here. I am no camera expert, but it's pretty hard to tell you how to do better if we don't even know what you are doing wrong.

8. Jonk1183 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted

Snapseed and camera + is all u need. I would post some of my pics but this forum always give me errors about multiple tabs and doesnt let me attach photos

9. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

The age old saying is true. It's not the camera that makes the picture, it's the photographer. Learning the limitations of your camera and doing creative focusing and choosing the best spot in the frame for lighting is key, especially with Camera+ that gives so much control..

Post processing is also important and that's where you can get really creative. Don't limit yourself to one tool either.

An iPhone isn't a SLR, don't treat it with the same mentality.

10. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

Here's something using camera+ and instagram.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1333810770.954580.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1333810784.116856.jpg

Yuck, tapatalk put small images.

Attached Files:

11. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Make sure you "tap to focus" on the object you want to photograph. Hold the camera still. I use a trick where I hold my elbows to my side to keep the camera more stable.
    The picture is taken when you release the button.

12. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

This doesn't seem to be true for me. We talking stock camera app?

13. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

When pressing on screen it will take the shot on release. When using the volume, it's immediate on pushing down the button.

14. saberahul macrumors 68040

1. Open camera app (or whichever you choose, I do camera and then import into Camera+)
    2. Focus
    3. Press volume button
    4. Do so in landscape mode... I never understood why ppl take pics in portrait mode. You can easily crop landscape photos later if need be.

15. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Ah, gotcha! Thanks.

16. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

I didn't realize that ,, thanks very good info. :)

17. outsidethebox, Apr 7, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012

outsidethebox thread starter macrumors member

For example, this is a shot I took the other day over dinner (I only cropped the top to take out faces).

Although it was evening, there were lights and candles all over, so it was really well lit, and yet the picture is AWFUL. Detail is horrendous, and there is noise everywhere.

My 3MP Samsung phone from 3 years ago took far better pictures, even in non-ideal conditions for light - these kind of photos the 4S is giving me are practically unusable in my opinion, and I don't think I'm being unreasonable considering the 4S is widely considered far and above the best camera phone.

18. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

19. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Yes, my shutter activates when I release the button. At least it did with iOS 5.0. Might have changed since, but I haven't checked since.

20. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Take a deep breath and hold it in, count to 3 and snap on 3 if you have shaky hands.

21. takeshi74 macrumors 601

You may need to brush up some more then. Sounds like you understand DSLR photography but not photography in general.

Lighting is typically the biggest challenge. As a rule of thumb small sensors need lots of light.

Well lit to your eyes != well lit for a small imaging sensor. The noise you refer to is your big clue that lighting is insufficient. You get noise when amplification is used. Amplification is used in low lighting situations. This isn't unique to the iPhone or phone cameras.

22. iSaxon macrumors 6502a

iSaxon

I take my photos with the stock camera app, then I like to edit with Photo Forge 2. It has just about everything you need (curves, levels, and tons more).