Best way to test battery life in real life scenario. Rmbp 13inch 2014

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macfreak101, Nov 21, 2014.

1. macfreak101 macrumors regular

Hey guys i am experiencing horrible battery life on my rmbp 2014 13 inch. Like the battery decreases by 2 percent every 3-4 mins I want to know if my hardware is fine or if its a software problem. the only software running is safari and brightness is set at 50 percent. I want to test my battery life to see how much battery I get in real life scenario but I don't use my battery for 4-5 years continuously so what is the best way to test your battery life and time it to find out if my battery is fine or not. btw my battery has only done 10 cycles and on coconut battery it shows that its discharging at 11 watts so is that fine when only safari is running. How many hours of battery life do you guys get on the 2014 13inch model?

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

I get up to ten hours

I get great battery life on my rMBP. This sounds like an issue take it into apple if you can and get them to check it.

3. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

10hours of battery life under what condition? I don't have an apple store here. In my country apply only exists through reseller so they are hopeless and don't know anything, when I called them to ask them they told me if I get 3 hours it's good enough :mad: How shall I measure the time of my battery life? Can you please tell me at what rate does your battery discharge?

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

With in and out use

Just general use on and off safari running itunes in the background to bluetooth speakers, the odd online video and some text reading, brightness 60% and use not constant I'll get up to 10 hours no trouble at all. 1 % lost every 5-6 minutes in that use case. If i have it downloading torrents and outputting HD visdeo to a TV then it'll get 6-7 hours

Of course if I start running a game or flash video online then this lowers considerably to 3.5-5.5 hours.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Open Activity Monitor and go to the CPU tab and sort by CPU% and look there to see if anything is consuming a lot of CPU cycles while the machine is idle. Also look in the Energy tab to see what is consuming the most power.

Maybe that will help pinpoint what process or app us using the most power.

6. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

here are the screenshots. the battery is discharging at the rate of 1 percent every 3-4 mins. I just want to make sure that there is no hardware problem and that the battery is fine otherwise Ill have a really hard time because as i mentioned apple exists only through resellers in my country and they aren't efficient at all so the only option I will have is to ship my computer to the states for the exchange. i just pray my hardware is fine. Is there anyway to find the real culprit?

Not constant as in? Like you use for an hour and so then put it to sleep for an hour and then again begin using it? Since Yosemite my mac has been showing safari as the app using significant energy even when no tabs are open. A while ago I was watching a 360p movie clip on vlc and my battery was 100 percent and within 10 mins of the clip it dropped to around 93 percent.

Attached Files:

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Those screen shots tell a different story

Your second screenshot shows a healthy battery that has been on for 1.5 hours and is predicting another 7.5 hours for a total of nine hours at your current usage sounds fine to me.

It really does depend what you are doing online as to battery use any flash videos will hammer the battery for a start.

VLC showing 360p (not seen that level in years) battery going quick suggests some really bad compression on the file to deal with.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I don't see anything there that is a problem. That % really fluctuates depending on what you are doing. What percent is left if you just browse and read mail etc for three or four hours?

9. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

Thats because my computer was asleep for 1.5 hour and i had just woken it up otherwise it drains like anything 1 percent every 3-4 mins as i mentioned earlier and no I don't even have flash installed nor do I have any plugins. The only software running is safari and mail usually and still the battery drains at that rate. How did you measure your time? As you mentioned 10 hours but is that what you get including sleep or otherwise? My battery health has also decreased and it has only done 10 cycles. My battery discharges while using safari at the rate of 10 watts and sometimes even 12/13 watts.

Im not talking about the estimated percentage Im saying in real time it drains by 1 percent every 3 mins doing the most basic thing. I don't know cause i have never used my computer for 3-4 hours straight at least on battery power. I want to know how shall i calculate the battery life i get?what is the best possibly way to do it?

I was thinking on installing yosemite on a partition and using it to see how my battery performs, will that make sense? i won't have anything installed on it and will just use it for surfing and if its a hardware or software problem Ill come to know. My battery now also when I'm not doing anything is draining at a high rate:confused: i seriously hope the hardware is fine otherwise Im going to have a really rough time dealing with apple

another thing safari is always consuming a lot of energy so could it be because of that?

Attached Files:

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I understand what you are saying, but I just don't think you can draw any conclusions from just a few minutes usage. Like I said, give it a try for three or four hours and see how much battery is left and that will give you a truer estimate of expected battery life.

11. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

Do you mean 3-4 hours at a strech? And under what activities? Only surfing or watching videos etc? Is there a way to leave my computer on standby and running to see how long it lasts, like the computer shouldn't sleep. Normally by how many watts does your battery drain, that information will be little helpful

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes, I mean use it on battery three or four hours straight however you would normally use it and see how much battery % is left.

I have the same machine and Coconut battery is showing 9 watts as I sit here typing.

You could just disable sleep and let it sit, but that is not really a very good test sine the CPU etc. is not really being used for much just sitting there so I would think the battery would last a long time like that.

13. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

Okay I'll try doing that, I don't use it continously so I'll use it for an hour or so then again use it for an hour or so until I have used it for 3-4 hours and I'll post again. That's astonishing as mine is showing 11watts

14. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

Okay as of now I have used my computer for one hour at a stretch. I started off with 100% battery and now as I'm typing one hour is over and I have 86% of battery left. brightness is at 65 percent and the only apps I have used are safari with around 12 tabs open and mail. No videos or anything as such. 14 percent with minimal usage, does that sound fine?

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Between your short test, and those Activity Monitor screenshots, I think you are fine. What you are seeing sounds average to me and similar to what I get.

16. crawler1975 macrumors regular

crawler1975

I have the rmbp 13 inch 2014 as well and I have noticed the same on mine - which is a real concern, however, to ease my mind, I started to do a netflix binge (watched video non-stop), I did this for 2 consecutive days and I get 6-7 hours of battery life on both occasions (I charge only when I get prompted that I have low battery at 1%) - which I think is acceptable (since apple says 13 rmbp is 9 hours). Brightness is at 50%, keyboard light is on low, bluetooth is off.

17. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

I have never drained my battery below 60 percent but that sucks 6 hours is no where close to the 9 hours they boast about and in reviews where they have managed to achieve over 10 hours

thanks so much but it is pretty weird because I have never got the advertised battery life even with minimal usage. I just checked my friends retina macbook pro we bought it from the same store and you won't believe it the rubber strip around the screen, its punctured like a deflated tire! How is that even possible, i thought the quality of that rubber would be good

18. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Mine dropped down a good bit at first than after awhile I checked again and saw a good change for the better. So, for me, I'll check as soon as the battery is charged than check again 15 minutes later for a better gauge of how long my battery life is..

19. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

Im not sure but i feel like the screen is loose cause i find it to be very light while lifting it and if i take my computer and shake back and forth rapidly (like really fast )the screen moves a bit is that normal? Otherwise while Im typing or anything the screen doesn't wobble at all and if i touch the screen lightly it shakes a little but thats barely anything so am I being OCD about it or is there something wrong? Moreover I'm scared it will become looser overtime causing more trouble?

20. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

my battery seems to be acting weird somedays and somedays it does fine. i just noticed this strange thing my battery is older than my mac, how is that possible?

Attached Files:

21. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Mine is the same and I would not worry about it. I'm guessing they make the batteries then ship them off for assembly later in the MacBooks, so the dates are different.

[​IMG]

22. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

okay thanks, i went to the service center today because my case started creaking and they fixed it up at the same time i mentioned to them about the battery situation and they said i should get 7-8 hrs of battery, they told me to leave the computer with them for testing for 2 days or if i could do the test by myself, they told me to do a clean install of yosemite and use it and to record the time with my usage. So i was thinking instead of deleting my data can i rather make a partition and install yosemite on it to conduct the test?

23. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sure another partition would work.

24. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

YES!

It takes a certain amount of power to run the screen etc even if you had no apps running at all.

25. badger91 macrumors regular