Best way to tranfer apps from Ipad 1 to iPad Air?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by gekkota, Oct 31, 2013.

1. gekkota macrumors member

Here's the scenario: I have an iPad 1 :eek: and I am planning to get the Air soon. I am trying to figure out the easiest way to set up the Air.

The ipad 1 does not have the most recent OS that it can tolerate because I stopped updating the OS after 5.1 since it was getting progressively slower with each update. It hasn't been synced or backed up in years to my computer, and I have never used iCloud.

There are 31 gigs of apps so it is full of apps I have never even used! I want to set up the Air from a backup instead of as new because I do use apps with data like DayOne and GoodReader.

Would it be easiest if I delete hundreds of apps from the ipad to de-clutter, and then back it up to iCloud, and then restore the Air from that backup? Can I do that even though I dont have the most recent OS?

Or should I go into itunes and "hide" all the apps I don't want transferred to the Air? There are 800+ in my itunes. There are also many apps I haven't updated--should I update them prior to the backup (even tho that will probably make them run slowly on the iPad 1?)

What makes the most sense? I appreciate any input...thanks.

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Woah woah woah, I think you are way over thinking this.

2 options:

1) Back up to iCloud now, as is. When you get the new iPad, restore from your iCloud backup.

2) Back up to iTunes. When you get the new iPad, restore from your iTunes backup.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Agree. But option 2 will be faster. Also, if you delete apps from your iPad 1 before you backup, then when you restore from that backup, only the apps that were on your iPad at the time you made the backup will be copied to the iPad. So if you have 500 apps saved on your computer, but you create a backup with only 50 apps, then only that 50 will be copied.

4. gekkota thread starter macrumors member

Right. I kind of want to de-clutter, so I was thinking that I would only start with the apps I really want, and I can re-download the others if I miss them. (I mean, who really needs 10 free piano apps?)

Can I make a backup to iCloud if I don't have the most recent OS? I thought I had to upgrade the OS before a backup, and I don't want to. My iPad 1 is already stuttering and stumbling, which is why I need a new iPad in the first place.
    Thanks. I appreciate the comments, guys.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I believe iCloud backup was introduced with iOS 5, so yes, you should be able to create an iCloud backup without upgrading.

6. gekkota thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the feedback. I ended up deleting a bunch of unwanted apps off the ipad 1 and then doing an icloud backup, and restoring the Air from that. Worked fine, but took a while.

After the ipad 1, the Air seems so light I'm worried I'll drop it...so I bought the applecare that covers clumsiness! :rolleyes: