Best way to transfer files & settings from MBP to a new MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Freewayjim, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Freewayjim macrumors regular

Freewayjim

I'm planning on buying a 17" MBP (anti-glare) in the coming weeks and my wife wants my current 15 MBP, no problem.

My question is what is the best, most efficient way to transfer all my files, programs & settings from the 15" to the 17"?

I've got the 15" setup just right (for me) as I use it for personal & business tasks. It also has Parallels w/XP that I MUST have for work. I'd really like it if all my email & password settings were able to transfer without issue as well.

Do I use Migration? restore Time Machine? or something else?

I assume then I can use the same steps to set the 15" MBP up for my wife from her iMac.

I'd appreciate any advice from somebody' who's had this experience, thank you.

2. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

i would say that getting a firewire cable and using migration assistant would be pretty easy. that would be my first option. i have not used it and i know you asked for people with the experience but i figured i would try to help anyways. when i moved computers i just took my photos, music, videos, and documents. i also took some applications.

3. Freewayjim thread starter macrumors regular

Freewayjim

Thanks for the reply, I do have a FW800 cable and could do that.

What about your settings/passwords & such? I'm afraid to upset the apple cart (no pun).

4. joro macrumors 68020

joro

Migration Assistant should transfer all of your passwords and what not for OS X with your user accounts. I don’t believe, but someone else can answer for sure, it will transfer your saved passwords for websites but that shouldn’t be a problem.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Migration assistant is pretty easy; I just transferred my old setting over from a Time Machine backup. I ran into major permissions issues (for some reason my new admin account didn't have permission to access anything). After a few "Repair Permissions" in Onyx it's working fine now, though.