Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brgjoe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
Forgive me if this has been already asked time and time again. And/or if this should be moved to another forum.

I ordered an iPhone 8 Plus. I currently have a iPhone 6. What is the best way -- that is, keeping everything as it was on my iPhone6. Like Apple Pay, Twitter, Facebook passwords without having to enter them all in again?

I know encrypted iTunes backups do keep some passwords. But I didn't know the extent that they did. And I think I remember reading iCloud backups still require to re-enter Apple Pay, Facebook/Twitter information again.

And if you use the iOS11 method, do both versions of iOS11 have to be EXACTLY the same? That is if the phone I have is 11.2 or whatever and the new iPhone 8+ is 11.0, then it may not work, right?

Thanks for all the info -- first time I have bought two consecutive iPhones before. :)

Superspeed500

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2013
I recently bought a iPhone X. I used the iTunes method to transfer all my data from my old iPhone 5. The iPhone 5 was running an older iOS-version than my new iPhone. All off my apps and data transfered over, but I had to re-enter my login information in most off my apps. I would still recommend the iTunes method as long as you have disk space on your computer for full backups. I would also say that it might be a good idea to upgrade the new phone to the newest iOS just in case.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
I just backup to iCloud then sign into new iPhone using iCloud backup.
If it won’t let you if the iOS version isn’t the same on the new one then setup, update then restore.

Last edited:

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
Encrypted iTunes backup will save your app passwords and if I remember correctly you don’t have to set up Apple Pay again as far as entering your card information.

And to restore from backup the new iPhone has to be on a newer firmware. So if you’re on 11.2 now, the new phone has to be on 11.2 or higher.

brgjoe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
Thanks for all the info, all!

Think I shall try the iTunes method first. I have an encrypted backup on my computer with my current phone. Just recently backed it up as a matter of fact. So I shall try that first.

<fingers crossed>

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.