Carrier Best way to upgrade to iPhone 7 with ATT Unlimited Plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HE15MAN, Jul 24, 2016.

1. HE15MAN macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

I have a launch day, preordered iPhone 6 I have been using, and now that the iPhone 7 is coming, it is my tim for a new phone. My battery is pretty much dead, and showing only 30-50% life left in it, so I am torn with if i should replace the battery now, or just get through this next month. In the past I would sell my phones afterwards, and make most the money needed for buying the new ones, but if now you just trade them in, then I will not bother fixing.

My main question: With the killing off of the 2 year plans, what is now the best way to get a new iPhone 7, while keeping my unlimited grandfathered ATT plan? Will I have to pay out of pocket full price, go through Apple upgrade, or something else?

My second question: Is there anyway to get my phone to work as a hotspot with my plan? Or will I have to leave my plan, or go to another carrier like T_Mobile?

Thanks guys

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You're going to have to pay full price. Even the Apple upgrade plan has you paying full price. You're just doing it over 2 years with the option of trading in the phone every year.

Jailbreak used to be an option. Not sure if it still is.

3. HE15MAN thread starter macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

Thanks T5.
    So pretty much now you either pay for the entire price at once for the phone, or monthly payments?

4. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Full price and Apple upgrade are both viable options. Keep in mind you are forced to pay for apple care with the apple upgrade. That alone makes it not a viable option for me. But many like it.

Jaikbreak is still an option for hotspot on this plan, although it doesn't look like it will come for some times. We haven't had a jaikbreak for months. Either the teams are waiting for iOS 10 to hit or they've simply not cracked it.

5. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

Wrong. have you even asked att this? You can upgrade with the next plan and keep your unlimited grandfathered plan. Ive asked them numerous times.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 26, 2016 ---
    Again... wrong...
    Do you guys even research what you say?
    Also, a jailbreak is available now. no mac version yet though

Attached Files:

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

How is what I said wrong? How much do you spend on the phone over the term of the next plan if you keep it?

In case you don't know, you pay full price.

7. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

I upgraded under a two year contract last December to the 6s Plus (just made it before AT&T stopped offering contracts), and I want to upgrade to the 7. My wife and I each have an ULD, and she's eligible for an upgrade. I'm guessing that I'll be able to do the upgrade swap, buy the iPhone 7 under AT&T Next or Apple's payment plan, or pay full price up front? My wife would get the 6s Plus.

8. lordofthereef, Jul 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2016

lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I am a little confused. How does Next being an option not make the options that I stated as nothing more than viable options somehow wrong or unviable?

Next also has you paying for the full msrp of the phone. the benefit over Apple's option is that you don't add Apple care to the payments. The con is you either have to pay off the device when you want to move carriers, should you want to do that.

You seem to be preoccupied with telling people they are wrong (nobody said Next wasn't an option) instead of just adding tot he discourse and explaining why an option you, I assume, think is a superior one, might be a viable option as well. It's never polite to be condescending on a forum, but if you are going to be, at least be sure that that your assertions are actually correct.

9. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

If you are doing the 12 month upgrade program with next you don't pay the full price for the device. You can upgrade with 50% is paid...
    All I'm doing is giving right advice. I wouldn't tell someone something if it wasn't correct.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 26, 2016 ---
    You can upgrade yearly with paying 50% of the phone off. There's options.

10. T5BRICK, Jul 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2016

T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You are correct that you have the option to trade it in towards a new iPhone once it's 50% paid off.

When you buy the phone you're taking out a 0% loan for the full value of the phone. What I posted was factually correct. Your post stating that I was "wrong" was, in fact, incorrect.

11. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

I took what you said as you have to pay full price for the phone outright in order to keep the grandfathered plan which is wrong. It could have a lot of people freaking out (I had this question a while ago and there where people saying the same thing) that they need to come up with 650-1000 dollars at the time of purchase to even upgrade which is false. There is those options to upgrade yearly or 2 years and still keep your grandfathered plan and you aren't paying for 100% of the phone at time of upgrade. Its 80% for 2 year and the 1 year is 50%

Attached Files:

12. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Yeah that's not how I took it at all. He said you can pay full price or Apple upgrade program, which is pretty much the same thing as Next and all three options allow you to keep unlimited. All three options are still technically full price. You kept saying wrong, when in fact nothing was wrong you were just interpreting it wrong.

13. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

its 80%/50% like in the picture i screenshot

14. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Not technically. The 50% requires you to pay full price over 24 months. After 12 months you can upgrade but you do not get to keep the phone. You have to return it and start over. Therefore over the course of 24 months, two iPhones at 50% = 100% full retail price of an iPhone.

15. smokedogg macrumors newbie

Well I was offered the 7plus 128G for $419, they extended my 2 year agreement, and I kept my grandfathered unlimited plan, and they knocked off $10 a month from messaging. This just happened about 3 weeks ago FYI.

16. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

On AT&T? AT&T did away with 2-year plans. I can't even get it anymore on my Premier account. I know some where able to still get Premier 2 year contracts.

17. smokedogg macrumors newbie

Yes on Att, upgraded on Sept 16th. Basically told them I was ready to jump to a new carrier and the rep just threw this offer to me. So basically I'm paying $80 a month after Fan and all taxes, for unlimited data, unlimited text, free mobile to mobile, and a 7plus 128G for $419.

18. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Did you trade in a phone?

I just don't understand how you got a 2 year contract. They don't exist.

19. smokedogg macrumors newbie

No i didnt trade in anything. Im still waiting for my 7plus to arrive (ordered the Jet Black) So once I get that I will just sell the 6 that I am currently on. Got quoted $200 on itsworthmore.com

20. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I'm not saying I don't believe you, but this makes zero sense. They don't have the ability to give you a 2 year contract.

21. smokedogg macrumors newbie

LOL, well i don't know, but that's what I was offered, and I jumped on it. He said something about me being a premier or legacy account so he was able to keep me on a 2 year plan.

22. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I still don't get it! Ive been a Premier account since 2002 and nothing. I've been with AT&T so long that it was AT&T then Cingular, then AT&T! You are very lucky.

23. smokedogg macrumors newbie

Sometimes it just depends on the rep you get on the other end. I have been on this same nation 450 w/rollover plan since the 1st Iphone I think. Keep trying and threaten to leave, that always seems to work.

24. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I was able to get all the way to the submit order screen with the same result. Same (grandfathered) unlimited plan that I have had since the 3G.