Best way to use my Windows 7 PC's HD as a wifi backup?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by arachn1d, Apr 19, 2010.

1. arachn1d macrumors member

I put a 1.5 TB HD in my Windows 7 box and my main computer is a MBP. I have a lot of my professional files/folders/work in a FireWire 800 external HD connected to the MBP and I want to use the 1.5 TB HD in my Windows 7 box as a backup for both the HD and MBP.

Right now I am just copying files manually to the HD over the network and that's very slow and open to failure (not incremental)

Anyone suggest some appropriate solutions? Should I just figure out how to setup RSync on the windows box or is there a better alternative?

Thanks!

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I think you can use RSync from the MBP to send the data to the windows box over port 22 (SSH).

I also believe that if you can map the drive in WIndows you could potentially use XCopy to copy the info and use the flags in XCopy similar to Rsync to create an incremental backup. Not sure it will work from HFS+ to NTFS, but over the netork is a littel different, so maybe.

3. arachn1d thread starter macrumors member

I'm using Carbon Copy Cleaner on my Macbook Pro to copy my system over the air to my Windows 7 Internal 1.5TB HD.

CCC is copying it as an incremental image back up.

I know I can't boot from that image over the air. What I was wondering is how would I copy it onto an external HD in a bootable state? Is that possible?

4. arachn1d thread starter macrumors member

So, anyone know how I would take that image off my external hard drive to make it bootable?

How do I make a HD "take" the image?

5. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

If it's external, just connect directly to your mac, reformat the drive as HFS+ extended Journaled, with GUID partition Table, then use CCC to make a bootable (complete) clone of your internal drive. As far as I know if you didn't make it bootable to begin with (which on my version of CCC you can't do over the air) then you can't make it bootable after the fact.

Best.