Best ways to save battery life on your iphone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Game 161, Feb 21, 2011.

1. The Game 161, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2011

The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Just wondering what are the best ways go make your iPhone 4 battery last? Turn off locations? Bluetooth? How about enable 3G? Is it best to switch that off when using wifi? Also do you need to keep 3G on when you don't have wifi on?

2. ajohnson253, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2011

ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

But just turn off anything you aren't using. If you aren't using wifi, Bluetooth, gps etc etc then turn it off so it isn't running.

3. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

The best is when you keep it connected to the power charger.
    Then not using it.
    Airplane mode and lowest brightness, location services off.

4. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

Backlight At the Lowest
    Turn off 3G
    Turn off Wifi
    Turn off Location
    Turn off Bluetooth
    Auto-Lock 1 Minute

Thats the best set-up my iPhone 3G only had 10% last night and i made it last 5 Hours with like 30 minutes of Usage

5. Merkie macrumors 68020

I don't try to save battery life at all, brightness is always at max and it always lasts a good 24 hours at least. If I know on forehand I need my battery to last longer I'll turn down the brightness and that's it :) .

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

You're asking the wrong question. People are telling you what you want: All the ways to save battery life.

This is not particularly useful advice, though, as turning it all off makes your phone fairly useless. You need to pick and choose what works best for you, but I find that the most common 'best advice' for most folks is simply this:

* Set screen to 50% and turn on auto brightness.
    * Turn Wifi on only when you need it, turn it off otherwise.
    * Turn off bluetooth unless you use it constantly.

That's about it. I'd suggest leaving everything else on. (3G, GPS, push e-mail, etc.) Yes, you can get better battery life by turning all those things off, but is it worth it? To my mind, no, it's not.

7. dagored macrumors 65816

Why did you buy the phone? All the above defeats the reason the phone was purchased. Of the above list, I have Bluetooth off, I don't use it. Brightness is at about 70% and I charge my phone every two days.

8. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Turn off auto-brightness. Lower screen brightness.

Go into notifications and turn off what you don't need (such as sounds or needless notifications from less-used apps).

Set mail to auto-check less frequently. Turn off bluetooth and wi-fi.

Empty your safari cache now and then.

Turn sound off when not needed.

9. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

What phone do you use?

10. LongbowFoSho macrumors member

If you decide to JB, ScreenDimmer is worth the small price. Really helped me with battery life on my 3GS and continues to do well on my I4.

11. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

doesnt that only bring the brightness down in dark rooms, not up above your set amount..?

also, jailbreak + sbsettings.

12. dagored macrumors 65816

13. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

This may sound like a stupid question but when you are out with no wifi do you need to have 3G on to get internet data?

I have now

switched off

locations
    all notifications while I'm not using them
    switched 3G off when using wifi

so I should see improved battery life?

14. vivithemage macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

IMO location services doesn't do squat on the iphone4, which is good.

I leave location services on, because it's only used when I allow the app to turn it on.

I noticed no change when having it set to on, or set to off. I have the screen to auto dim, and around 45% brightness.

I always have bluetooth off, and 95% of the time, wifi off. 3G on, and I can get 6-8hours of use, and 48~ hours of standby.

15. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

WiFi & Bluetooth are the same as Location Services. When the phone is in standby (screen off) WiFi automatically turns off. Bluetooth goes into standby mode when it's not connected & not looking for a connection.

16. elan123 macrumors 6502

is this sarcasm? bwahahahaha

17. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

You could try Apple's Support document. I found this in literally 3 seconds and it was literally the first hit in my Google search: http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

Literally.

18. daveishere macrumors 6502a

daveishere

Turn your screen brightness down, that helps a lot from experience.

Also, Bluetooth is a HUGE power draw if you don't need it on constantly, so switch that off if you can.

19. diane143 macrumors 6502a

I'd like to know what to turn off in order to get the GPS (MotionX GPS) to last more than 2 or so hours on a ride or hike. It's so bad I will only use it when I am stuck on a ride, and I have some areas I'd like to explore where I'll need it more.

I turn off wifi and the sound but that's about it. I have a case for my phone on the bike and to see it through the case I sometimes have to turn the brightness up, but I turn it down if I'm hiking.

20. Dennis187 macrumors regular

Dennis187

1. Don't use it, don't even think for any one sec of touching it
    2. Dim that brightness, or better yet, keep that screen off, miss your next call, just don't touch it
    3. Turn off bluetooth and wifi, I don't care if you need it, just do it already.
    4. Don't even think about dialing 911 when you see some child playing basketball on the streets of this busy intersection. Remember, you absolutely must save battery life at all costs!
    5. Turn on airplane mode. Don't even think about turning it off, just ignore the outside world.

21. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

+1 For your awesomeness.

22. takeshi74, Aug 31, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2012

takeshi74 macrumors 601

The GPS receiver is what's eating your battery. If you need more battery life with GPS and can't plug into a power source then get a battery case.

23. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

GPS is going to eat your battery no matter what you do. Even worse, you're likely in an area where cell reception isn't the greatest- so your phone is also constantly searching for a signal.... which will also make short work of your battery.

24. nicknicknickh macrumors regular

Turn the brightnesss down to a lower level, turn wifi off when traveling around, turn off bluetooth, Make sure all GPS connection are off when not needed.

Lastly, if you feel you need longer battery consider getting a case which is a battery. The cases I've seen hold just as much charge or slightly more then a fully charged iphone so you get 2x the battery!

Heres a few links:

This is actually just a battery powered charger if you want to in a bag and is cheaper then the case http://www.mophie.com/mophie-Juice-Pack-Boost-p/2026_jpu-boost-2.htm

Here is the "air" case which holds 3/4 of the power needed to fully charge an Iphone. http://www.mophie.com/mophie-juice-pack-air-iPhone-4-4s-battery-case-p/1145_jpa-ip4-blk.htm

And here is the pro version which holds an Iphones full charge: http://www.mophie.com/mophie-juice-pack-plus-iPhone-4-4S-battery-case-p/1160_jpp-ip4-blk.htm

25. lazard macrumors 65816