BestBuy: 32gb iPad Mini 4 WiFi for $275. Good deal? Worth getting if you already have a iPad Mini 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Hal~9000, Nov 20, 2016.

?

Would you pay the $275 to upgrade from a 16gb iPad Mini 2?

1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Hal~9000, Nov 20, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2016

Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

2. James.K.Polk macrumors 6502a

I'd go for it. I just got the same iPad for $160 off Craigslist... when I got it, I realized the touch recognition was terrible on the left side, and I had it replaced under warranty - new iPad! So I'm a little biased, but I love the Mini 4.

3. Brammy macrumors 65816

I think 32g is the new 16.

I'd only get teh 32g version if you have very light usage and use it more as an e-reader. Even with optimized photos my iPhoto library takes a fair bit of space.

4. James.K.Polk macrumors 6502a

I use the 'optimize storage' option so with all my apps, eBooks, (lots of) PDFs, I've only filled 12 GB.

5. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Seems like a good deal to me. The Mini 4 is similar in terms of performce with the Air 2. The price point is as low as I have seen it.

6. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

7. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Yes, that Best Buy sale going on is an excellent deal. (ANY sale on an iPad that is over $100 off is a great deal IMO) I haven't seen many/any? sales on the Mini 4. I'll be picking up a 32GB Space Gray Mini 4 today @ Best Buy to complement my 128GB 12.9 iPad Pro.

8. braxfan, Nov 21, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2016

braxfan macrumors newbie

Coming from a iPad mini 2 which I sold to get the iPad mini 4.I got the iPad mini 4 128gb on Saturday for $424 plus taxes $460 from Best Buy online then on Sunday they lowered the price to $374 plus taxes 405 I was given a 50 dollar credit after calling Best Buy to say the price had lowered online.So yeah if you can get a deal for any size iPad mini 4 go for it.

9. magicschoolbus macrumors 6502a

magicschoolbus

10. tbuzleski macrumors newbie

Just bought one. I can tell a big difference over my mini 2. I just don't like the full size iPads.

11. Shark5150 macrumors 6502a

Shark5150

12. SR Steve macrumors member

I did as well, on sale at Best Buy for $375!

13. titangears macrumors member

titangears

I've never owned an iPad, and am considering either the Best Buy iPad 4 mini 32 GB or 128 GB. I'll be purchasing this for my wife who is pretty low tech so she might be fine with the 32 GB model. However, I'm not sure if I should pick up the iPad mini 4 which is a little over a year old, or an iPad Air 2 which is a little over 2 years old and supposedly will go on sale for $125 off at Target this Thursday. Word is there will be an iPad refresh next March, and so the Air 2 will likely get an upgrade as its overdue. Not sure if the mini 4 will get an upgrade. I've read performance between an iPad Air 2 and a mini 4 are similar although on paper the Air 2 has better specs. The mini has a smaller screen, but with the mini 4 being smaller it will be more portable. Is the larger screen of the Air 2 a factor for people who are near sighted, or is the mini easy enough to use and see what is on screen? I'm not sure which one I should get. Thoughts?

14. magicschoolbus macrumors 6502a

magicschoolbus

The 128 is worth it with the discount. iPad apps also take up more space then an iPhone app.

Take it from someone that made the mistake of purchasing the 16gb iPad Air. They fill up quick.. I would highly suggest the 128.

15. titangears macrumors member

titangears

You didn't mention the Air 2. You like the Mini 4 over the Air 2?

16. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I own both the Mini 4 (picked up a 32GB model yesterday at Best Buy) and Air 2 (as well as a 12.9 iPP). Any performance difference between the two is negligible. Regarding screen size, I wear glasses and have no problems switching between the Mini 4, Air 2, or 12.9 iPad Pro.

The Air 2 vibrates when playing audio/video... it can be distracting for some. It didn't really bother me but I would prefer that it didn't.

The Mini 4 screen is wonderfully bright and sharp and easy to read.

Percentage-wise, the best deal is the 16GB model but I strongly recommend against it. The 32GB model is fine for most uses and 64GB is plenty. Since you've never owned an iPad before, I think 128GB will be overkill.

Considering that the Mini 4, Air 2, and 9.7 iPad Pro all have 2GB RAM, it is safe to say that there is still plenty of life left in those platforms. Only the 12.9 iPad Pro has more memory (4GB RAM).

17. MrMaxwell macrumors newbie

You can't go wrong with either the Mini 4 or Air 2 - both are now sweet spots in terms of performance, size, battery life , etc. The iPad Mini 4 is great for portability so if you're doing lots of travel, want to mount it in the car, etc that is the main advantage. If the iPad will mainly sit at home then go for the Air 2. 32GB will be fine unless you know you will load lots of movies/photos/magazines which are storage hogs.

18. titangears macrumors member

titangears

Ended up getting the 128 GB iPad Mini 4. I like the size, and by the time I got around to ordering it Best Buy was out of the 32 GB model & wouldn't deliver to any place close to me. Its only $100 more, and there will be plenty of room for apps and other things. Thanks for all the help here. Mac communities are always #1.

19. Hal~9000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Well, the Mini 4 just wasn't enough of an upgrade for me over my Mini 2 to justify spending another $300 (after tax) so I ended up selling it to a friend for what I paid.
    • 2gb of ram is nice but not a huge deal as I'm used to closing apps once I'm finished using them on my Mini 2 with a quick 4-finger swipe up & close so apps reloading isn't an issue.
    • 32gb of storage is nice but I'm a minimalist and keep my storage in check so the 16gb on my Mini 2 isn't bad as I still have over 10gb available.
    • The A8 processor of the Mini 4 isn't enough of an improvement over the A7 of the Mini 2. At the very most it was only a 1/2 - 1 second difference to load websites or apps which is hardly noticeable.
    • TouchID is awesome and one of the main reasons I considered the upgrade. I personally prefer the 2nd gen TouchID on the 6s and look forward to seeing if a Mini 5 is released in March with it.
    • Mini 4 display is good but not enough of an improvement. Colors were more colorful but, compared to my Mini 2, the Mini 4's screen was less bright and more yellow.
    • Side-by-side multitasking seem good on paper but the Minis screen is just too small to do anything substantial with it. The Mini 2 has its own form of slide from the right multitasking that works.

20. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Why didn't you sell the iPad mini 2 instead? You obviously wouldn't have gotten as much for it, but you would have spent a lot less than $300 to upgrade to the iPad mini 4.

21. Hal~9000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Definitely a valid point.

I guess I'm a little strange in that I don't actually like to sell my old electronics (i.e. Mini 2). For old electronics I only pass them down for free to family members once I no longer need them. I have no problem though if its brand new and a family member want a good deal instead of me returning it to the store.

That said, I'm also a minimalist and don't like to buy new things that I don't really need just for the new toy feeling... it actually has to be an extremely good deal, usually via Slickdeals, and be a major upgrade in my mind over what I currently have for me to consider it.

So it was really a combination of the above two points:
    1. The Mini 4 wasn't enough of an upgrade for me over the Mini 2 to justify the $300 purchase
    2. I don't ever want to deal with the scams/hassle of selling my old electronics via eBay, CL, or Swappa
    I know... I'm weird :p