Beto O’Rourke throwing his hat in the ring for 2020

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

2. Zenithal macrumors G3

I see the Dems are going full circus for 2020.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

DON'T care , the more the merrier.

4. Zenithal macrumors G3

This is why I think you secretly support a Dem. You would rather any other Dem other than Clinton be involved and win. :p Though I referred it to as a circus because the range on the political spectrum is so vast with this 2020 run. I don't think O'Rourke stands a chance. And as much as it pains me to say this, while I can see a woman winning if it happens, it's going to be tougher for Harris as a woman of color. Then you have Pete Butiegreg who just happens to be a homosexual and even I think he's got 40% of the country saying nay from the starting line. Then there's rumors of Klobaucher and Biden, Cory Booker, and many others whose names I cannot remember.

Ideally, the GOP needs a smart man who isn't tainted like the 2016 crowd. Someone who's more centrist than far right. Rumors were swirling about Pence, but Pence isn't liked except by his Evangelical bunch, the man has no charisma and his policy history in Indiana left it a mess.

I had that former special forces bloke in mind. The one SNL made fun of then apologized with on the next episode. Except that guy went stupid with trying to talk down to a former DHS head honcho, and was ridiculed by both the left and right on the internet. Can't live that down.

5. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Good. Beto is a breath of fresh air compared to Hillary Clinton, Bernie Sanders, or Elizabeth Warren. Democrats who are young usually run better then 70-80 year olds. Plus if he was nominated he’d likely run a much better race then “collapsing into the van” Clinton.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

I have openly said I’ll yake Tulsi 2020. Unless something pops up

7. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

The circular firing squad of identity politics already started on him once he lost the TX Senate race. If he officially declares, expect stuff like this to be the argument against him.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/17/politics/beto-orourke-funk-drive-2020/index.html

Beto's excellent adventure drips with white male privilege

8. Zenithal, Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019

Zenithal macrumors G3

What the author of what could only be called an op-ed attack fails to mention is that O'Rourke started with odd end jobs and worked his way up, and amassed a near $10M net worth which he shares with his wife and children. Abrams, on the other hand, is in debt with the IRS.

As much as I enjoy seeing Democrats eat each other for a snack, let's be reasonable and do some research. Let's just ignore his work background, the fact he'd been involved in politics for years before making a senate run, and knew how to reach people, even across party lines. It isn't a surprise that Henderson's entire career in journalism has revolved around identity politics.

Plenty of minorities have gotten into office on less than O'Rourke. Did Henderson somehow forget there's now Muslim members of the House? Women, in fact. So Henderson can take her claim that minorities and women can't win and shove it where the sun don't shine.

O'Rourke lost because despite the disgust people have for Ted Cruz, he would still get the votes in from his base. And Cruz barely won. You have to be a complete idiot to not understand how Cruz's just-about win sent shock-waves in Texas politics.

Oh, and just for fun, what about AOC? Did this author not know this loud-mouthed but rather bright Latina was making waves across America, and that even some Republicans were perking their ears to listen to what she had to say?

9. A.Goldberg, Feb 10, 2019

A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

No surprise here.

I have to say I’m starting to see this “white privilege” concept applied...
    1) More and more frequently for less and less consequential things
    2) As a unquestionable reason to disqualify they anything say or their potential for a position.

I don’t think it’s right to judge people simply based on the color of their skin, even if their white. It’s true whites generally have some societal benefits in areas compared to some other races, but I don’t think it’s fair to assume you can judge how priviledged someone is on their skin color or even apparent financial status. I actually think it’s just as rude to invalidate someone because of their “priviledge” as it would to invalidate someone because of their lack of it.

To me, his Twitter post is a very awkward attempt at trying to connect with his followers on an emotional level. As the article states, it comes off as “emo” (haven’t heard that word in a decade).

10. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Reports are millennials are the largest voting block, if they would actually vote in mass, they are mostly hostile to GOP centric “philosophy”, and they are the future, it’s their future, so fresh younger candidates with idealism, would be a breath of fresh air.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 10, 2019 ---
    I see nothing that qualifies it as awkward, how about hopeful and enthusiastic?

11. Zenithal macrumors G3

Even the oldest millenials have had 37 something years to be pissed at the GOP. Gen Z'ers will be the harshest towards the current GOP unless they the current GOP changes.

12. A.Goldberg, Feb 10, 2019

A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

This:
    I don’t most people want to hear about his existential problems as a politician.

13. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Booker has already declared he is running, and Klobuchar has an announcement event later today.

I read that his wife's family is wealthy.

Because she was helping pay her father's medical expenses for cancer.

14. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Seems necessary if you want to take on a carnival barker.

15. Zenithal macrumors G3

That's giving Orange Julius way too much praise.

16. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Did Obama read that post I wrote?

https://nypost.com/2019/04/06/obama-democrats-are-having-a-circular-firing-squad-over-purity/

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Oops, egg on my face!

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I don’t understand why the super low scoring candidates don’t quit.

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I think it is pride. They can't admit that people don't want them to be President. I felt the same about all of the Republican candidates in 2016.

21. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

They are running for cabinet positions or the vice presidency.

22. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

Says who?

All we know at the moment is that polls suggests a 3rd would vote for Biden followed by Sanders. This leaves about 50% spread over the remaining 18(?) candidates.

Where will that change when 10 or so drop out? How will polls translate to actual votes still several months away?

So there might be a time for Beto to drop out, but it ain't here yet.

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Beto is definitely still in the running.