Beto O'Rourke: 'This country was founded on white supremacy'

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
"I know this from my home state, Texas, places that formed the Confederacy, that this country was founded on white supremacy," he said, according to the Tennessean. "And every single institution and structure that we have in this country still reflects the legacy of slavery and segregation and Jim Crow and suppression, even in our democracy."
https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2019/07/08/beto-orourke-nashville-tennessee-visit-gathers-immigrants-white-supremacy-raids-detention-centers/1675044001/

Oh? Then why hasn’t he dropped out and endorsed Kamala Harris or Cory Booker?

yaxomoxay

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
"I know this from my home state, Texas, places that formed the Confederacy, that this country was founded on white supremacy," he said, according to the Tennessean. "And every single institution and structure that we have in this country still reflects the legacy of slavery and segregation and Jim Crow and suppression, even in our democracy."
https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2019/07/08/beto-orourke-nashville-tennessee-visit-gathers-immigrants-white-supremacy-raids-detention-centers/1675044001/

Oh? Then why hasn’t he dropped out and endorsed Kamala Harris or Cory Booker?
I am telling you, at times it seems that they’re doing everything possible to get Trump re-elected.
I guess they figured out that being an anti-Trump analyst at CNN/MSNBC is a no-stress job that pays much more than the presidency.

BaldiMac

macrumors 604
Jan 24, 2008
Freed slaves counted for 5/5 (=1), so it wasn’t really solely a racial issue.
Which doesn't change the fact that it was primarily a problem of white supremacy.

In addition, in the rest of the world slaves counted for 0/5; contextually the 3/5 agreement was somewhat ahead of its times.
That's a rather putrid definition of "ahead of it's time". The 3/5 compromise benefited slaveholders, not slaves.

Reactions: JayMysterio

yaxomoxay

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Which doesn't change the fact that it was primarily a problem of white supremacy.
Primarily maybe, but it’s not automatic/intrinsic as the post I replied to implied (esp. if you consider the brutal black on black African slavery)

That's a rather putrid definition of "ahead of it's time". The 3/5 compromise benefited slaveholders, not slaves.
It did, and it was an awful solution. In my eyes the only acceptable solution is 5/5 and no slavery. However, I can’t be dishonest and not consider that at least the colonies asked themselves the question and tried to find an agreement, as insufficient as it might have been, while in the rest of the world colonization and slavery were common, in many cases until the XX century.

Reactions: Vanilla Ice