Betrayed by their party, Republicans voted Trump. But will he betray them too?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thermodynamic, Jul 16, 2016.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ed-conservatives-and-so-too-will-donald-trump

Article has more, but please prove the writer of that piece as being wrong in his assertions presented in that article, as I will not cut'n'paste them all.

2. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Of course he will. Trump has flipped flopped on his positions during the primary season. Why wouldn't he in office? It seems to be one of the things he does best.

3. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Much of the anger is cause people don't know the political process and politics in USA.

All they want to hear is 2 second sound bites and something happen.
    They don't have the time, let alone ability to learn how it all works, in their busy lives.

4. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

But that only sets up endless disappointment and anger over unrealistic expectations.

5. Herdfan macrumors 6502

He will, but he can't be any more of a disappointment than the current GOP Congress.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Obama failed at plenty of things that he had promised, did any liberal say he betrayed them?

7. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Pretty sure many on the far left are disappointed in him.

8. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Where was some calls from the Black communities IIRC, first term era

9. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Sure. Absolutely some say that. But by and large Obama filled a lot more promises than other Presidents I can recall over my lifetime. And that was with an obstructionist congress even.

10. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Perhaps Obama should have said 'Provided the Republican-dominated Congress doesn't act like a group of petulant children with anger issues, I can do X'.

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

well, let's elect Trump to see what's in him, you can point out the betrayals when he leaves after 8 years :D
    --- Post Merged, Jul 22, 2016 ---
    same Obama who had control of BOTH houses for 2 years?

12. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

You have made quite clear to me that you hate Trump, although you seem rather fair weathered and turn on a dime so maybe his speech last night convinced you?

I am sure it has probably been explained to you multiple times that Obama did not have control of congress in some sort of veto/fillabuster proof fashion for two years. Al Franken was not seated until the summer and Kennedy was out due to health issues.

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

1. yet to watch it.
    2. did they even try? was ANYTHING they proposed filibustered?

14. Herdfan macrumors 6502

But somehow Bill Clinton managed quite well with a Republican Congress and that horrible Newt Gingrich.

And remind me again how many GOP House passed bills Harry Reid allowed to come up for a vote? Actually this is a problem not related entirely to Harry Reid and that is one person should not be able to stop legislation passed by the other house. I think if one house passes it, then it should be required to have a vote in the other. Maybe not discussion, but a vote.

And I also think Mitch McConnell should have allowed hearings and a vote on Obama's SCOTUS pick. I would have hoped he was voted down, but he should have gotten a hearing and a vote.

15. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Two Caucasian men...

16. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

Wouldn't democrats and hillary supports be happy in that case?

17. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

He wasn't to the left enough.

18. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

The problem is likely Trump will be a figurehead and let Pence run everything like he offered to let Kasich do, and in that case we might as well have elected Ted Cruz. Personally Cruz was the only one that I hated more than Trump.

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Pence is his impeachment insurance in the unlikely event he gets elected.

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Trump is smarter than Hillary looks :D

21. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

[​IMG]
    Oh boy!

22. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

No. Pence is his scapegoat fallguy should he lose. Trump can never ever accept blame for anything. Thus he needs the insurance of having someone else to blame should things go south for him. He's already joked about it. There's usually truth in humor and I don't believe it was just a joke.

23. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

See? You have nothing to fear since trump won't be ***** anything :D

24. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Yeah but I am no fan of Pence's anti-gay policies either. And Trump would still be a figurehead if he won saying all sorts of crap....who knows what trouble his mouth and 140 characters would get us into.

And again, I just don't want children picking up Trumpisms and stark mocking disabled people and think it's good to punch people in the face. It's just such a negative thing. I can't imagine any parent would actually want their children to behave like a bully and mock disabled people.

25. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

The ko game started long before trump. And most of today's kids are freaking morons