Betsy DeVos for Education Secretary

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yaxomoxay, Nov 23, 2016.

1. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Meh... I like that she's pro charter schools... I'm a fan.
    Not a fan of Common Core though. It has its upsides, but the method needs refining if it's going to stick around.

2. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I can't really say much as I am not familiar with her views, but it seems that she's for statewide Common Core, and not National Common Core. She will certainly have to clarify this during the hearings.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

A top Republican donor billionaire. Drain that swamp, yo!

4. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

This is getting old. What do you want him to select? Random people? Of course he's going to choose people within a certain group. It's what they will do, and what they will have to give up, that will make the difference.

5. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

I'm not fully versed on her views myself. Read a short bio and got the highlights.
    I still believe all education should be managed locally and not federally.
    Basic educational standards need to be met, but the teaching method should be decided locally.

6. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I fully agree.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Old? Just getting started. Tell me how a billionaire charter school advocate is going to help our education system other than draining money to her friends?

8. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

IOW, "drain the swamp to fill it up with your own muck"? Okay.

DeVos...isn't that the family that founded Amway? :confused:

9. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Charter schools are a blessing to the public system.

10. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Unless a nominee is Rachel Dolezal, Democrats will whine and say each nominee is part of the Washington swamp.

11. rdowns, Nov 23, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2016

rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yes, maybe kids will have to sell their parents soap products to get promoted to the next grade.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 23, 2016 ---
    Explain to me how a Republican mega-donor isn't part of the swamp.

EDIT: And her brother is the founder of Blackwater. I loves me the smell of swamp people in the morning.

12. chown33 macrumors 604

[​IMG]

13. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

well of course.....but that's because the whole "drain the swamp" thing was a fraud from the start.

Trump is just going to replace democrat swamp creatures with republican swamp creatures.......and some of them will be bipolar! :D

14. citizenzen, Nov 23, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2016

citizenzen macrumors 65816

This at least is consistent with trump's campaign and in line with conservative policy.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 23, 2016 ---
    It just goes against his campaign rallying cry.

"Drain the swamp," was always just an empty promise to whip up a crowd.

Anybody who believed him should have their credulity recalled. It's obviously defective.

15. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I never interpreted drain the swamp as a call to remove people, I interpreted as a systematic change. But that's just me.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

"Removing people" isn't really the right concept. It's not the president's job to remove people.

But it is his job to appoint them. And if he doesn't use that opportunity to seek out the best and brightest minds outside of the sphere of Washington and politics, then he is wasting the chance to explore new ideas, and is instead simply returning the alligators to the swamp.

17. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

What we need is somebody who is not obsessed with college being the answer to everything. A little (or a lot of) focus on vocational training and basic life skills are in order.

18. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Trump's idea of a "systematic change" is to remove the filter of politicians and give Washingtons's corrupters direct control.

19. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

I would nominate Mike Rowe.

20. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

Charter schools are terrible. Talk about a failed model.

21. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Hell no. Charter schools are the biggest scam going. All it does is steal money from public schools and the taxpayers and funnel it into private pockets.

You want to have a private school? Go for it. But stop expecting the taxpayers to pick up the tab. Charter schools are nothing but private schools that steal money from taxpayers.

22. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Quite the opposite, as I discussed a few months ago with the local superintendent while I served my first term on the school district's financial committee.
    Charters are not private schools, and they are not paid for by municipal taxes. It's (mostly) a distributive process of statewide taxes which allows for less expenses in regular public schools, and it also includes donations. Thanks to charter schools, school districts are able to increase revenue, or at least reduce expenses.

23. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

That's a joke right? That certainly is not the case in PA. The state education budget gets split between the schools and the charters that have opened up have devestated the traditional district schools. In addition, these charters game the system by kicking out students who don't conform (see 3 strikes model at KIPP). It then leaves the district schools not only with less funding but also, almost all their students are students that either got kicked out of charter's or whose parents are either so apathetic or so busy that they didn't apply to get their kids in somewhere else. It makes their job that much harder and allows the charters to inflate test scores. Not only that, charter schools hire inexperienced teachers and pay them way under the regional average. It's a scheme to break teacher unions.