Bette Midler calls African American Trump supporters 'blackground

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jul 25, 2019.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/bette-midler-calls-african-american-220729573.html
    pretty much the way the left feels about any minority not towing the line.

2. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Actress says something dumb and racist. Wake me up for something more interesting.

3. eatrains macrumors 6502

The right gets so easily offended by politically incorrect statements. Sad but true.

4. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

so it was not racist to you?

5. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Who cares what Bette Midler says? If you are going to start a thread every time a celebrity says something dumb, this place will end up with almost nothing but those types of threads.

6. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

7. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

At least he is/was a much better actor...

8. LordVic macrumors 603

yeah, that comment imho is pretty vile. Its one thing to point out your oppositions racial biases, but to start inventing a term to use to identify minorities in some negative light, even if that's supporting Trump, you are crossing a line.

If you're not going to offer ways of supporting minority groups and you just want to use them as a weapon, IMHO, you're also guilty of racism. Different form, but clearly using Race card. Especially if you are not part of that race in question.

9. raqball macrumors 68000

I open window and scream 'she is a racist, racist, racist' at the sky....

Guess my above comment now makes me eligible to identify as a liberal eh? :p

10. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Given the propensity of various organisations to photoshop black people into things to prove their diversity standing I would have thought her question was fair comment.

11. LordVic macrumors 603

For me, the point tha tMiddler went "too far" is trying to invent a term to use to identify a racial minority that can easily be used as a derogetory term.

I understand what her intent was. And I think the message itself was correct. She just went too far and apparently unintentionally did the same thing she was railing against.

12. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I think it's a perfectly fair word to use whether she is the first to use it I have no idea.

13. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

So they’re not the wind beneath his wings?

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Look at the comments below what Midler wrote. Quite a few were at least as vile.

But you know, they’ve gotta pile on. Criticizing the mote in someone else’s eye when they’ve got a plank in their own. That sort of thing.

15. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

I don't see how it was vile. Maybe it wasn't the funniest portmanteau in the world, but even if she did invent it, so what? If other people reuse the term in a much worse way, then that's on them.

16. ucfgrad93, Jul 25, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2019

ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Anyone who doesn’t is an Uncle Tom, etc.

17. LordVic macrumors 603

That IMHO would also be racism of a different sorts.

I'm sure many of you have seen my postings and would easily label me a lefty. equality pushing "*******" (i've been called worse). But I have problems when peoples race is used to waeponize politicizing.

racial issues and tensions are political in nature, but if you are going to use the race card for politics, than it should be about creating diversity, acceptance and breaking down barriers.

Not using it as a "gotcha" for the other party.

Call racism out when it exists. Don't just use "racism" as a loaded gun to get what you want. Trump's racist behaviour is obvious. This IMHO is still racism, but less obvious (likely because it wasn't intended as racism)

The best way to show empathy towards racial discussions is swap around the race of the intended target and ask yourself "if that was me, would I like it"

If she were talking about Trump supporting jews, and started calling those jews some thing like "Jew-grounds". I would immediately be "WTF" even though I am not a trump supporter.

Th second she attempted to coin a new term in which to put people of identifiable colour into a grouping and use a generalized term, she went too far.

But here I go, being all SJW against both sides again :p

18. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I think a good example of helping the African American community was when Clinton greatly reduced the amount and severity of crimes committed in order to be the recipient of a prison life sentence. Progress!

Lets also not forget Obama's shared beer with a white cop and African American victim of police overreach. Problem solved! But I'll admit Obama's hands were kind of tied because as an African American himself he didn't want to be seen giving any help to the African American community as a biased favoritism abuse of power. We never see biased favoritism in US politics. Obama didn't want to be the first.

19. LordVic macrumors 603

Sorry, I'm honestly not sure what you're trying to say here.

20. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I’m going to assume Midler is a lefty. I’m just pointing out a little hypocrisy that Trump wouldn’t be the first to use minorities for photo ops when their policies or inaction is something slightly different than supportive.

21. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

Half seems it already has...
    --- Post Merged, Jul 25, 2019 ---
    Depends if you order a t-shirt or a water bottle to prove it...

22. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I on the other hand will call racist behaviour racist (gotcha) as far as I'm aware all she did was raise the possibiity that the black people could had been inserted to give the impression of diversity for PR purposes and given the behaviour of many in the U.S. this is quite possible.
    If she coined the word "blackground" and I'm not sure she did it's quite apropriate.
    Consider the use of "doughnuting" to describe gathering around a politician to make it appear they are the centre of things and not waffling to half a dozen people spread around a chamber.
    Neither descriptor is in anyway racist.
    Could you explain what you mean by "weaponising politicising" please ?

23. raqball macrumors 68000

Water bottle please.... I would take a shirt but those evil bad orange man supporting minions might come after me for wearing it..... I can keep the water bottle in my car and the MAGA Nazi's won't see it..... :eek::p:eek:

24. LordVic macrumors 603

I think we're getting confused, or i'm accidentally talking past you.

I agree with her messaging. Of course Trump is using them as background for political gain. That's what I mean by weaponizing.

I just do think that Midler, by coining "Blackground" is a little .. much. it's intent was in ernest with intention of pointing out Trump's use of them as background. But in accident may have coined term they may not chose to identify with as PoC. Or as some would say, "un PC". She could have made her point without it.

But maybe I'm being a lil harsh?

25. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

LOL I'm likely to get caught pretty soon tooling around in my car with a 2016 Bernie water bottle that has held up really good... while wearing a 2020 Warren t-shirt I splurged on while still having no clue whom I might actually vote for in the Dem primaries next year. Tossup whether it's a Dem or a Republican likely to key my car after I park it in town though.