Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pengapine

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
Hi y'all,

My 4s is on its last legs (wifi function is getting spotty, button greyed out 40% of the time), so I am in the same boat as many of folks who are debating upgrading to the 5 now or wait for the 5s.

I am not necessary looking for 5s to have anything fancy (camera upgrade, etc.), but I would be interested to see if the 5s would have better battery life than the 5, but I haven't read anything that would support that. With a the new processor upgrade, has anyone heard anything to support longer battery life in the new 5s vs. the 5?

Thanks!

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
It's all rumor and speculation now, and the only part leaks we've seen are the Home button cable and (I think it was) the vibrator. I'm sure they'll strive for better battery life.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I would wait, but you might have to bite the bullet and go to Apple and give them $149 for a replacement phone, beats upgrading to the 5 when the 5S is right around the corner, unless you do not mind the 5, I have it, and it is good just wish the battery life was better, so I had to go out and spend $99 to get the Mophie Juicepak just to make it thru a day with personal and work email, web browsing, so app use and I get 100 emails a day for work, so it just cripples the battery, but ok other than that.

BoostDeuce

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2013
I get all day battery life out of my 5. I unplug it at about 6AM and when I go to bed at 9-10 its got 15 hours of standby with about 3 hours of usage and usually has above 50% battery

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Hi y'all,

My 4s is on its last legs (wifi function is getting spotty, button greyed out 40% of the time), so I am in the same boat as many of folks who are debating upgrading to the 5 now or wait for the 5s.

I am not necessary looking for 5s to have anything fancy (camera upgrade, etc.), but I would be interested to see if the 5s would have better battery life than the 5, but I haven't read anything that would support that. With a the new processor upgrade, has anyone heard anything to support longer battery life in the new 5s vs. the 5?

Thanks!
How in the world would someone be able to provide you this information when it does not exist yet?!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
How in the world would someone be able to provide you this information when it does not exist yet?!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Easy. The iPhone 5s (or whatever they call it) will have a better camera and battery life.
The iPhone 6 will have same as above, but be a bit thinner.
The 6s (or whatever they call it) will have a better camera and battery life.
The iPhone 7 will have same as above, but be a bit thinner.
The 7s (or whatever they call it) will have a better camera and battery life.
The iPhone 8 will have same as above, but be a bit thinner.
The 8s (or whatever they call it) will have a better camera and battery life.
The iPhone 9 will have same as above, but be a bit thinner.
The 9s (or whatever they call it) will have a better camera and battery life.
The iPhone 10 will have same as above, but be a bit thinner.
The 10s (or whatever they call it) will have a better camera and battery life.
And so on....

R.Stoychev

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2012
Easy. The iPhone 5s (or whatever they call it) will have a better camera and battery life.
The iPhone 6 will have same as above, but be a bit thinner.
The 6s (or whatever they call it) will have a better camera and battery life.
The iPhone 7 will have same as above, but be a bit thinner.
The 7s (or whatever they call it) will have a better camera and battery life.
The iPhone 8 will have same as above, but be a bit thinner.
The 8s (or whatever they call it) will have a better camera and battery life.
The iPhone 9 will have same as above, but be a bit thinner.
The 9s (or whatever they call it) will have a better camera and battery life.
The iPhone 10 will have same as above, but be a bit thinner.
The 10s (or whatever they call it) will have a better camera and battery life.
And so on....

And iphone 11 will be badas# ultra thin phone/computer :D

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Unless they make exponential leaps in battery technology (and somehow manage to keep it relatively inexpensive), don't expect better/ longer lasting batteries anytime soon.

The days where you would only have to charge a phone once a week are long gone... and, even if it had the ability, I doubt Apple would want to bring those days back.

Their only goal is to manage a full day (under typical usage) on a charge. Nothing more.

Needless to say, if they found a way to make batteries 10X more powerful in the same space, they would likely just make the battery that much smaller and either use the empty space for something else, or make the next phone that much thinner.

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
At least for me, the 4S was a regression in battery life from the 4.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
Battery life for me on the i5 has been as good or better than my iPhone 4.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 52

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Unless they make exponential leaps in battery technology (and somehow manage to keep it relatively inexpensive), don't expect better/ longer lasting batteries anytime soon.

The days where you would only have to charge a phone once a week are long gone... and, even if it had the ability, I doubt Apple would want to bring those days back.

Their only goal is to manage a full day (under typical usage) on a charge. Nothing more.

Needless to say, if they found a way to make batteries 10X more powerful in the same space, they would likely just make the battery that much smaller and either use the empty space for something else, or make the next phone that much thinner.

All true, but making a phone more efficient will also increase battery life. As long as I can get a full day out of it I'm fine with that.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
I think that the 5S battery will probably be the exact same as the iPhone5. Many of you guys are always wanting and requesting thinner phones and the thinner that they get the battery gets has less capacity to run your phone. If the iPhone 5S has a larger screen and a larger body, then the battery will be bigger or the phone will have room for two batteries in it. However I think that the 5s is going to be exactly the same as the five, except for maybe a different processor, I heard that the sides and back will come in different colors like the iPod touch, and therefore I think your options are either to wait or get A 5. I am currently using the 5 and my battery life is really good. I am very happy with it.

beMaC

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2011
I honestly dont think there will be much of an upgrade from the iPhone 5 to the 5s, maybe better camera and quicker yes, but nothing dramatic. I think Apple are focused on improving their iOS which needs improved the most.

jerryobr

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2010
5S Release Time-frame?

... beats upgrading to the 5 when the 5S is right around the corner, ...

Hi. The quoted poster mentions that the 5S release is right around the corner. Is it due to be released before this Fall?

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.