Better off using Limwire or iTunes?

pgc6000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2004
Hi everyone. I'm usally in the macgaming section so you probaly haven't seen me around. But I was wondering: Which do you think I'm better off using : A filesharing network called Limewire or iTunes. I have an iTunes account and I use it sometimes but I mostly use limewire. But is limewire illgal? Which one am I better off using for my tunes? Thanks

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Of course Limewire is illegal! With iTMS you know what your getting, it is what it says it's gonna be, the same cannot be said for any file sharing network these days - so many fakes!

I use both iTMS and Aquasition (hooks into KaZaA network). Limewire just plain sucks :p

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
IRC is so much better, for everything. You just need to know where to look, I find my niche in a little channel on irc.wondernet.nu...

t300

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2004
If you are going to use any P2P software, DON'T use Limewire....Acquisition is the best.

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
Since anything is better than LimeWire, I vote for iTMS. If you care about getting your music legally online, iTMS is really the only way to go. If you don't find yourself bothered by copyright vilolation, then check out Poisoned. I think it is better than Aquisition, and is completely free. Aquisition is shareware that nags you to register. Can you imagine charging money for a program that is used to avoid paying money to the people that deserve it!?

pgc6000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2004
The problem is that Kazaa screws your computer. So would Aquisition do the same? Plus does Aquisition cost money?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Christ, if you're so concerned about the RIAA coming after you then PAY for your music. If not, then you take your chances, which are pretty bloody good anyway. How many millions of people use KaZaA, and how many have actually been sued? Exactly.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
makisushi said:
Doesn't anyone here use torrents?
With torrents, you don't have invasive or glitchy software. I always find high quality stuff.
Torrents aren't much good when there's just one track you're after. Torrents are normally whole albums, and even then it's still a lot harder to fid what you're looking for than if you search KaZaA :eek:

I find myself using iTMS all the time now though, Aquasition is what i move to if i can't find what i want in the store.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
I just downloaded Poison, and so far, I really like it.

I think the use of things like LimeWire/Poison is acceptable, as iTunes doesn't have every song that everyone wants.

But thats a whole other issue.

I just downloaded 'Straylight Run - Existentialism on Prom Night'.....so, so nice :)

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
pgc6000 said:
I find Limewire a lot better then kazaa
I use to have DC++ in my PC, but the mac version just sucks. Limewire is better than Kazaa but macs somehow should use a multi-platform p2p program I think

pgc6000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2004
Kazaa is evil. It plants hidden files all over your computer and makes it as slow as crap. By downloading Kazaa your are also downloading "The make your computer so slow that I'm not even worth downloading" program.

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
for p2p I recommend soulseek...I beleive there is a rough client for Panther, and a more involved (via X11) client for all of OS X.

I use it as much of the music I enjoy is european indie and difficult to find here in the States. Interesting features too.

Nevertheless, for me nothing beats buying a CD at the store, call me old-fashioned.

pgc6000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2004
It's just easier for me to have it on my computer. If I want an album I can just buy it on iTunes and if I want a song I can just download it from LW. Plus I'm at my computer more then I am near a radio.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I don't know if you're from Canada, but if you are, then its not illegal to use P2P like Limewire in Canada. That's pretty much the only way you can download legally, but then you'll have to live with Canadians with their wee beady eyes.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
pgc6000 said:
Kazaa is evil. It plants hidden files all over your computer and makes it as slow as crap. By downloading Kazaa your are also downloading "The make your computer so slow that I'm not even worth downloading" program.
remember this is with pc's, my friends dells are littered with spyware and loads of crap from all the pr0n they download.

pgc6000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2004
Funny, someone I know used to have Kazaa but he ditched it a long time ago. But guess what? His computer never fully recovered, if at all. Once you start downloading from Kazaa you've scrwed your computer.