Better than dropbox! perfect for Macbook Air. Free 6.6 gigs of synced storage!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by SpiffyChee, Aug 1, 2011.

1. SpiffyChee, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2011

SpiffyChee macrumors member

So I've been a devout dropbox user since it came out a few years ago but i've been amazingly frustrated with the amount of free space and the limited control. Sugar sync has much more control, more free space, and even sycs with iPhones and android phones!

Until today when I tried SugarSync. You get 5 gigs by default plus an extra 600mb for learning the features and then you'll get another 500mb if you sign up through someone's referral link!

Then when you refer people, each bonus is 500mb.

This all adds up fast!

https://www.sugarsync.com/

I'm definitely not going back to dropbox! that is 6.6 gigs of free online synced cloud storage without even having to refer anyone yourself!

Test it out and let me know what you guys think! I think this is definitely a dropbox killer.

Update: you can store files in the cloud without them syncing as well. Just upload to the "Web Archive" in the file manager! This is the best part for macbook airs with minimal storage!

2. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

lol, Dropbox knocked the wind out of SugarSync's sales ... many of us Dropbox users are ex-SS users......

for me, Dropbox is much better ....

3. SpiffyChee, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011

SpiffyChee thread starter macrumors member

but did you know about SugarSync's media streaming, mobile syncing (including auto syncing photos and folders from Android devices), and folders selection and permissions/passwords settings.
    In addition: SugarSync's web interface has a bit more functionality than Dropbox, with its separation of photos from files and also a very useful direct editing feature where you can edit files from within the web app.

dropbox doesn't have any of this. Unless you are paying for dropbox, the amount of free space is so frustrating! And then the lack of these additional features that SugarSync has on top of the low free storage really makes dropbox horrible in comparison. (Free standpoint)

Let alone the security vulnerabilities that dropbox users are discovering!

4. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

I moved from Dropbox to SS. Dropbox is overpriced for less features.

5. leftywamumonkey, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011

leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

It's ridiculous just trying to download it.
    I keep attempting to download it, but every time I do so it either stops at 2 seconds remaining for over 20 minutes or it stalls at some point. After numerous attempts, I became frustrated because I really did want to give it a chance. Nevertheless it made me sign up before downloading so you got yourself another 500mb.

I'll keep trying like the train that thought it could.

EDIT: Finally worked after a few hundred tries (10 tries or so)!

6. technopimp macrumors 6502a

Does it have the option to have "cloud-only" files? I'd be interested in that, since right now I really only have 1 machine (well, I have 3, but 2 are going away) so syncing with Dropbox (or whatever) isn't all that useful, but if I could choose some stuff to be ONLY online that could be useful with limited local storage.

7. rabid snake, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2011

rabid snake macrumors newbie

Rather use SpiderOak, they give you 2GB for free and a GB for each referral you get!

https://spideroak.com/

Plus your stuff is encrypted when using SpiderOak unlike Dropbox, which left people's stuff vulnerable for 4 hours. It turned out everyone's stuff was decrypted also on the server.

8. tim916 macrumors member

This thread is like a bad infomercial.

Gee, sugarsync sure sounds swell! Does it fold away for easy storage?

9. unixperience macrumors regular

it sure does, and if you call within the next 10 minutes, we'll give you a complementary invisible commemorative coffee mug, portraying the most important moments in computer history!

haha jk, but i never even knew of all these options! i will give them a go. I only have my one computer, but I have 3 operating systems on it and I use dropbox to sync sme key files easily with all systems. and also to share folders when doing labs/ or class projects

does ss or the spider... thing allow you to share folders? that is pretty crucial. every time we have group projects, we also make a group dropbox folder

10. SpiffyChee thread starter macrumors member

rofl. ok this thread is getting out of hand. I started this thread to enlighten those who are frustrated with dropbox's frustrating lack of free storage.

The additional features of SugarSync are really impressive and I wanted other people's opinions about how it compares with dropbox. I think it is great!

11. unixperience macrumors regular

hey spiffychee, i was kidding about the infomercial thing, but really, can you share folders with other users using ss??

12. SpiffyChee thread starter macrumors member

hahah YES it does! When you go to your personal sugar sync website, there is a section called "Web Archive" And you can upload to it and it doesn't sync to any computers!

This feature is so good! Correct me if I'm wrong, but dropbox also does not have this?

and yes you can share folders with others.

13. Seephas macrumors newbie

Thanks! The web archive feature is really handy along with the generous storage.

14. FieldingMellish Suspended

Har har, like those drug commercials asking you to tell your doctor, then finding creative ways to read off an unholy long list of problems that could befall you if you take their drug.

15. zerind macrumors member

Ugh, thinly veiled spam with a referral link to boost OP's storage with them. Seriously?

16. palpatine macrumors 68040

I like dropbox. i love sugarsync. i don't like spam. what a pathetic thread for such good product. i wish there were a way i could lower your extra free storage.

17. BostonBrawler, Aug 2, 2011

BostonBrawler macrumors member

Im guessing right out of college in a sales position, or a 35 yr old marketing person that thinks they can trick people by acting like an 'excited consumer~!'

Cmon now....

18. verity, Aug 2, 2011

verity macrumors member

Doesn't sound too bad, I'll try it. Especially for web storage. Any extra space would be very welcome, of course.

It doesn't seem to add any icons in Finder like Dropbox does, to indicate successfully synced files and directories.

19. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

20. 3goldens, Aug 2, 2011

3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

well you got another 500 from my referal! I'll try it what the hell!

21. SpiffyChee thread starter macrumors member

Ignorance is bliss my friend. I was satisfied with dropbox until I made a shared folder with my family and they filled it up and messed with files. Dropbox does not have enough control about read/write permissions in addition to simply not having enough storage capacity. With careless people sharing your folders you will have to constantly be lecturing them about the proper way to share files. With SugarSync, taking simple actions in controlling read/write access will help greatly in such scenarios. Let alone giving much more lenience for neglected files taking up space.

But i guess if you aren't sharing folders with lots of unintentionally careless people on a daily basis then dropbox will fill your needs quite well.

22. SaintsMac macrumors 6502

I guess I am ignorant as well because Dropbox has worked great for my needs.

23. unixperience macrumors regular

sugar sync isn't free.............. you only get a 30 day trial :-/ (someone correct me if im wrong)

i like dropbox its great i have like 5.5gb from referrals, and being a student :)

spideroak looks more flexible than dropbox.... i dont like that you can't upload files online though... but it seems very similar, and these two are free for sure

24. SpiffyChee, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011

SpiffyChee thread starter macrumors member

Sugar sync IS free if you choose the 5gig account. The 30 day trial is for 30 gig storage. They have misleading advertising about the "free trial" thing. When i first discovered sugar sync I didn't sign up cuz I thought the same thing.

No credit card or anything! Just make sure you choose the 5gig account. (which is actually 6.6 when you sign up through a referral link and then do their "tutorials")

spideroak has a very awkward interface though. It isn't very user friendly imho...

And regarding the people who have posted that they are satisfied with dropbox: Thats totally cool. Dropbox is a great and simple piece of software. I don't intend to try to convince you that it isn't good, cuz I've been happy with it for a long time. I've just found my needs to be a little more demanding since I share with so many different people and need more control in addition to simplicity. SugarSync filled that gap for me perfectly. To each their own! I'm glad you all are happy with dropbox. I posted this in the macbook air forum because a lot of macbook air users are very concerned with running out of storage (Especially those people who bought the 128gig storage or especially the 64 gig baseline). SugarSync lets you put files online for "Backup" and you are then able to delete the files on your computer and access them from anywhere with an internet connection! While Dropbox may be the "best" solution for many people due to its simplicity and no user setting adjustments, SugarSync sees to be the true best for a computer with limited storage (Macbook Air) since it has online cloud only storage as well and all the features of dropbox.

But again. to each their own... I have more needs for file syncing and storage than many I am sure

25. Spacemarine macrumors newbie

I just wanted to try it, but Sugar Sync doesen' have any Linux client, therefor it's unusable for me.