Carrier Better to buy unlocked T-mobile 7 on launch day, or wait 2 to 3 weeks for official SIM-free version?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hal~9000, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

When buying full MSRP, is it better to buy a unlocked T-mobile 7 on launch day or wait 2 to 3 weeks for the official SIM-free unlocked version?

I know it seems like they are the same... but I think there are difference between the two (T-mobile unlocked vs SIM-free unlocked) in regards to the LTE bands supported and whether or not Sprint / Verizon would actually activate the T-mobile version on their network? :confused:

Thanks in advance to anyone who's had to research this the last few years and can share your advice :)

2. Turnpike macrumors 6502

Turnpike

Bump! As I'm also watching what those who know their stuff have to say on this...

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Since this is a brand new hardware release nobody know yet what exact bands each carrier model iphone 7 will include.
    I'd get one for the carrier that you use to be safe.

4. imlynxy macrumors 65816

This is one more reason I go with Apple Upgrade

5. ErnstStavroBlohard macrumors member

sim-free includes a handy sim eject tool

i wish they all did

6. gurase macrumors regular

I waited for the sim free for the 6S. I was on Cricket at the time so my only option for preordering would have been the T-Mobile model. All the other carrier models require that you provide your account info or sign up for a new plan. Also since I was dropping $850 on a phone I wanted to make absolutely sure I was purchasing the model I wanted.

Unfortunately the AUP requires that you are a customer of one of the 4 major carriers. No prepaid customers.

I can't find the link, but I remember reading something when AT&T launched wifi calling that people using the T-Mobile or Verizon models needed to go through CS to enable it. The AT&T and sim free models worked out of the box.

7. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

All unlocked iPhones since at least the 6 (not sure how much further back it goes) will work on Verizon. Once the phone is available to buy, you'll know which bands each has, but I'm almost certain the T-Mobile version will have all important bands to work on any US carrier.

8. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I literally have hundreds of paperclips lying around my office and house. Every one of them works just as well.

9. Turnpike macrumors 6502

Turnpike

OH! I didn't know that any did... I've been buying (at the Apple Store) Verizon unlocked, just to be 102% sure that the phone would work on Verizon as well, so I haven't gotten one with a phone in years....

So those still come with the tool. Cool to know!

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yeah I wouldn't wait to buy the unlocked version just for that sim ejector thing.
    I have like 3-4 of them laying around and you can also buy them on eBay for less than a $1.

11. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Perhaps we have an under-realized business opportunity on our hands here. Maybe we can call them Apple certified or something and mark them up 1000%. We could even spray paint them white, black, or pink.

12. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

You can buy 10 for $1 on Amazon.

13. PLin macrumors 6502

This is the first year that I'm not with one of the big 4 carriers, and I'll probably have to preorder a T-Mobile version, so I hope it isn't missing Band 30 like the 6s. I'm with Cricket right now, but if I ever switch back to one of the big 4, I would probably end up back with AT&T.

If the T-Mobile version is still missing Band 30, I'll probably still preorder one just to secure a phone, but I'll try to get a Verizon or AT&T device-only iPhone at the local Apple Store and return the T-Mobile one. I'm not planning on waiting for the SIM-Free version, because I could care less about Sprint. Verizon doesn't have any problem activating the newer iPhones from other carriers.

14. pika2000 macrumors 68030

If I were in the US, I would just opt for Apple's iPhone upgrade program. No more worrying about SIM-lock as iPhones in the upgrade program are unlocked.

15. imlynxy macrumors 65816

Cricket is a wonderful choice, better than T-mobile which is congested in my area.

B30 is really growing fast. I can remember we discussed 9/9/15 the article is that At&t just started to deploy B30 and it is everywhere in my area already:

http://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/at-t-begins-deploying-2-3-ghz-wcs-spectrum-for-lte

I don't want to say that you certainly need B30, like B12 with T-mobile, but it always good to have it since iPhone with B30 is the same price.

At&t made a very good job adding B30 first of all in their pain points areas and later on a huge number of sites in my area.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 4, 2016 ---
    On the eBay you cannot buy the Apple genuine SIM removal. The original one is made of liquid-metal. But who cares :)?

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol:)
    Pretty much.
    I'm looking for one that's made from adamantium....

17. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Unobtainium. Cuz 'Murica.

18. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

If I was to get the 7 Plus, I'm going to wait for the sim-free model and will get that one instead.

19. PLin macrumors 6502

Apple just made this decision tough. The AT&T and T-Mobile versions don't support Verizon anymore even if they are unlocked, because they lack CDMA. The Verizon and Sprint versions, if unlocked, do have all the bands that AT&T and T-Mobile need, including bands 30 and 12. I would assume that the SIM-Free model should support Verizon and Sprint as well, but who knows when it will be available.

I guess the best model to get on launch day is the Verizon model this year, but only Verizon users are able to pre-order from the Apple website. Everyone else will have to try to buy it device-only at a local Apple Store.

20. bumpylumpy macrumors member

Yes, I too was disappointed to see that the AT&T and T-Mobile versions have dropped the CDMA bands.

I don't actually have "real" Verizon - I'm using Verizon through Tracfone's BYOP program which allows me to get on Verizon's network without paying as much (some limitations, like no VoLTE). I'm using an iPhone 6 that I originally had on contract via AT&T and then after I got it unlocked, I use a Tracfone Verizon sim and it works great; Verizon LTE speeds and coverage are great where I live.

I guess that means no Sept 9th pre-order for me; I will have to wait for the "SIM-free" version and hope it comes with CDMA bands (they wouldn't disable it on that, would they?!)

21. Hal~9000, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016

Hal~9000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Yep, kind of sucks that Apple disable the bands for no reason... especially when we are buying them for full price :mad: (probably was the ****ing carriers that asked Apple to do this so when people wanted to switch carriers they would be forced to buy "their brand" of iPhone 7)...

http://www.apple.com/iphone-7/specs/
    Model A1660*
    Model A1661*

FDD-LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30)
    TD-LTE (Bands 38, 39, 40, 41)
    TD-SCDMA 1900 (F), 2000 (A)
    CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900, 2100 MHz)
    UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)
    GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

Model A1778*
    Model A1784*

Models A1778 and A1784 do not support CDMA networks, such as those used by Verizon and Sprint.

FDD-LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30)
    TD-LTE (Bands 38, 39, 40, 41)
    UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)
    GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

22. Howyalikdemapls macrumors 6502

Apple's website says if you choose AT&T or T-Mobile it will not work with Sprint or Verizon even when unlocked. It appears they're selling a GSM and a GSM/CDMA model this year. If you buy with Sprint or Verizon it says it will work with other GSM networks, but if you buy one with T-Mobile or AT&T it will not support CDMA. =/

I'm with T-Mobile but who knows if I may switch down the road. I kind of want the Sprint/Verizon model for more versatility.

iPhone offers the same innovative features regardless of the wireless carrier you choose. If you choose AT&T or T-Mobile as your wireless carrier, your iPhone will use 3G cellular technology for voice services and either 3G or 4G LTE cellular technology for data services. iPhone can roam internationally on many GSM carriers around the world. If you buy iPhone with AT&T or T-Mobile, it will not work on Sprint or Verizon Wireless.

"If you choose Sprint or Verizon Wireless as your wireless carrier, your iPhone will use CDMA cellular technology for voice and data services. If you buy an unlocked iPhone with Verizon or Sprint, it will work on AT&T or T-Mobile. An iPhone activated on Sprint or Verizon Wireless also has the ability to roam internationally on GSM networks. For details on LTE network support, please see www.apple.com/iphone/LTE."

23. PLin macrumors 6502

For the most flexibility, I suppose Sprint Device-Only is the one to get, since it will support all carriers, including Sprint. The downside of getting a Sprint model is that most trade-in sites assume that Sprint iPhones are locked, since a good number of them are sold directly by Sprint and locked, so trade-in value is probably affected. I have no interest in ever switching to Sprint, so having Sprint support doesn't really matter to me.

I still plan on pre-ordering a T-Mobile version just in case I can't manage to score a Verizon model at the local store.