Better to go to AT&T store or Apple Store to BUY replacement phone due to water

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Ports, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Ports macrumors regular

Ports

:mad:
    I did the Cardinal Sin and dropped iphone 3gs into coffee cup. I pulled it out out fairly fast but the damage was done. Screen is hard to see etc. My question is where would you go to buy a replacement phone AT&T or Apple :apple:? I assume it will be $199.00? Thanks in advance

2. bluedukies8 macrumors 6502

bluedukies8

Have to go to the apple store. If you go to at&t they will tell you to go there anyway. They won't handle the problem of getting you a new phone.

3. Ports thread starter macrumors regular

Ports

4. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I don't think you'll get it for $199 more like $399. But I might be wrong.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It's $199 for water damage replacement.

6. macAttack09 macrumors newbie

iphone.aggie is correct. Anything that is done to the iPhone that makes it and "out of warranty repair" you can buy a refurb for 199.99

I replaced my broken screen myself and broke the ear and proximaty cable connection on the board, and they had me buy a refurb for 199.

if you go to ATT store they only offer a discounted rate if you are not eligable for an upgrade.

the price they gave me for a replacement for my 3g 8GB for a new 3g 8G was 249.00 and you would have to sign another 2 year contract.

7. Ports thread starter macrumors regular

Ports

Update

:mad:
    I did the Cardinal Sin and dropped iphone 3gs into coffee cup. I pulled it out out fairly fast but the damage was done. Screen is hard to see etc. My question is where would you go to buy a replacement phone AT&T or Apple ? I assume it will be $199.00? Thanks in advance

I went to Apple store stood around for 45 minutes patiently while I saw other customers getting a little hot regarding their wait time. My turn and nice genius bar employee gave me a refurbished phone for no charge. I think he just had a nasty guy and was happy to talk to a person that treated him with a little respect. Thanks to your responses earlier:)

8. Little HZ macrumors regular

Little HZ

That's excellent news!!! And so good to hear of civil behavior getting a reward ... :D

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The Genius Bar gave me a $100 discount. Just be nice, good things can happen.

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I'm just going to tell them I know thegoldenmackid. :) I need to get my 3G replaced, but haven't decided if I'm going to do a DFW Apple store or one here in the northeast.