Better to have high capacity iPhone or iPad?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mnsportsgeek, Aug 3, 2014.

1. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

For those of you who own an iPad and an iPhone?

Do you find one device to need more storage than the other? If I had to choose one device to get 64gb and one to get 32gb? Which should it be?

2. Paddle1 macrumors 68040

iPad files can take up more space, but it really depends on how you want use each device and what you put on it.

3. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

4. mnsportsgeek thread starter macrumors 65816

That was my initial thoughts.

The phone is on my person at all times. The iPad would probably only travel with me out of town and stay at home for the most part.

5. CEmajr macrumors 601

Agree. I have a 16GB iPad Mini and since I don't always use it, I just remove the videos that I don't want to watch and add the ones I do want to watch when I take it out somewhere. iPhone is 32GB and I have a lot more apps and pictures loaded onto it.

6. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I've found that I've wanted more space on my iPhone than my iPad. That being said my iPad is always at home and only used for reading and web browsing. It's all about how you use each device.

7. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

As others have mentioned, it really depends on how you use them.

Personally, I require more space on the iPad than I do on the iPhone. It's not even because I bring both with me daily. It's just that the things I do on my iPad tend to require more local storage than the things I do on my phone.

I've got a 32GB (27GB) iPhone and right now, I'm using around 22GB primarily due to photos and videos taken with the camera. If I delete the videos (which are backed up to my computer anyway), I'd only be using 10-15GB.

I've got a 128GB (115GB) iPad around 85GB of which is used by comics (favorites+TBR) and magazines. I can make do with 64GB but that will require much more frequent content management of my TBR pile.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think for my needs, the iPhone needs more storage and horse power. I always have my phone with me, where as the iPad supplements my usage.

9. chabig macrumors 68040

For me, the iPad has larger capacity because that's where I keep video media. My iPhone is more for on the go apps and music, and my music is in iCloud.

10. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Phone. I'm traveling right now and I like to watch shows on my iphone while going on the internet on my ipad at the same time

11. chupachup macrumors 6502

Depends what sort of files are taking up the most storage.

Music- iPhone
    Movies - iPad
    Documents - iPad

?

12. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

For me you want to max out both the iPhone and iPad in terms of storage. You can never have enough space.

13. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Horses for courses, it all depends on *your* needs. I'd have a 32GB iPad and a 32GB (or higher) iPhone, but they're just my own requirements.

14. cynics macrumors G4

This is my usage as well. And since I have a wifi iPad I need to store the videos to watch when traveling.

15. Mechayoshi macrumors regular

Mechayoshi

I would like both, but really it depends I'm if you have an unlimited data plan or not. Since the ipad is wifi only it needs more local storage. My phone always has internet though so it matters less.

16. imlovinit macrumors 6502

imlovinit

For me, I need higher capacity for my phone. It's always with me and because of that I "need" more storage. The ipad is only ever at home for just basic email, browsing, and streaming with little to no need to really store anything on it so I'm good with just basic capacity.

17. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

I have a 16 GB iPhone and a 32 GB Nexus 7 tablet. To me, it makes more sense to have higher capacity on the tablet as it's the one with the larger screen for watching media, and the one that's used more like a computer.

18. duaneu macrumors 6502a

I have a 32 GB iPad now, but I may get 64 the next time I upgrade - it would be nice to be able to have more movies to watch on the plane when I travel.

I have about 8 GB free on my 32 GB iPhone, even with using it as my primary camera, so I think I'm good there.

19. mnsportsgeek thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm having a hard time deciding if both need to be the same size or if one can be 32gb.

I have a 64gb iPhone right now and while there is only 8gb of free space. I have maybe listened to 5 songs on the thing while there is 32gb of music on it. Decisions. Decisions.

20. kurzz macrumors 6502

kurzz

I have a 128gb iPad and I put a lot of movies and TV shows on there. I love the room so I'll probably stick with 128 for the iPad.

I have 32 on the iPhone 5s and I think I will upgrade to a 64gb one next time. I take more pictures and videos and that takes a lot more room than I anticipated. I rarely store any music on the phone (thanks to free spotify and unlimited data).

21. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

If I had to choose, I would get more on the iPad. The larger screen craves more space for magazines, video, and photos. I could get by with less on the iPhone. I would just have to stay on top if moving photos to the cloud... Pretty much everything else is streamed.

22. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Right now both are 16gb. My iPhone is more full because of apps and music (no locally stored videos). I'd rather have a 32gb iPad though because then I wouldn't have to pick and choose as much with apps and movies. I also wouldn't have to bring the external drive to watch movies on my laptop!

23. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

I'd say it's better to have an iPad and an iPhone with the same capacity.
    32GB is the sweet spot.

24. sixxmum macrumors 6502a

sixxmum

On a related note, how do you backup? I stopped using iTunes for my backup because it kept eating files and switched to the cloud. But, now the issue is that my devices have more space than my iCloud account does, and I don't really feel like paying for extra.

25. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

iPhone bc it's with me more and is also my MP3 player.