Better to invest in a SSD for the 2011 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by the big kx, Jun 5, 2011.

1. the big kx macrumors newbie

the big kx

Hello,

I am looking at buying a MBP and have decided on all features but one: I am not sure whether to get the 500@7200 HDD or buy a 128 SSD.

I am looking at purchasing a Pegasus R4 for all my HD Video files to be edited in FCP, so most of the stuff stored on the laptop itself will be music, apps and movies. Am I better investing in the new technology, even though it is over 350 GBs less then the HDD?

If I do decide on the SSD, can I purchase a second internal HDD to put in? Through tigerdirect or something?

Thanks for your time

2. aramosc macrumors regular

aramosc

SSD makes a huuuge difference!

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

it depends on the model as the 128ssd is priced differently as an upgrade for each one when customizing. if it's $100 for the upgrade and you would prefer the speed over the space, i would say that is a solid deal especially considering the support you will receive for it being an apple labeled drive. however, if it's a $200 upgrade like on the low-end 15'', you may want to get a stock hdd and upgrade to ssd yourself, so you can have an hdd and a ssd for the price of the ssd and use the leftover hdd as your storage, but if you just want the apple labeled ssd, $200 is still a great price. i'm assuming the lowend 13'' wasn't your buy as it doesn't have a 7200rpm hdd option which you are debating on. however, $250 is pretty good as 128gb ssds go for about $230-$250.

basically, if you would prefer the speed over the storage, the 128gb apple labeled ssds are not a bad purchase.

4. deadlystriker macrumors regular

deadlystriker

I highly suggest to go ahead with the SSD upgrade. Personally I have the stock apple 256gb (my sig) and this thing is blazing fast and totally silent. Once you go ssd, you can never go back to a conventional hard drive. The 128 gb will do you fine, just manage your files well with an external hd. You won't regret it.;)

5. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

My 240g Vertex 3 ssd is amazing. I highly recommend it. Just grab an external and be smart about your storage. Its plenty of space and the speed is addictive.