Better to just use iPhone as hotspot or buy T-Mobile sonic 2.0?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pinkstiletto66, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Pinkstiletto66 macrumors 6502

Okay so after figurig out the breakdown it seems cheaper to tether via the iphone (if not prepaid) and use it for my Mac and Ipad, however before I figured the breakdown of the postpaid plans I intended on getting the Sonic hotspot. Reason for this is because the iphones battery would drain faster soon forcing me to charge it more. If I just purchased the hotspot Id take the pressure off the iphone. What do you think would be more energy efficient? Would the hotspot have better speeds or the same. Couldn't find many reviews on YT yet.

2. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

The speeds would be about the same. How much is the hotspot? You could probably get a nice size external battery for the iPhone for its price. The you wouldn't have to worry about the battery and you'd only have to pay for one line of data.

3. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I went using the built in personal hotspot route, it works great with my Wi-Fi iPad mini, and my MacBook Air when I'm on the road.

My car keeps the phone charged, and when I'm somewhere else, I have an external mophie battery pack. (Not the case, but the brick).

I literally find myself using this phone for everything.

4. CEmajr macrumors 601

I agree just use the hotspot on the phone. If battery is a major concern then get a mophie juice pack or something

5. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I was like duh! All I need is an extra battery pack. What is battery life on those? Any brands last longer than others? Whats the price range like?

----------

Ok didnt see Mophie till now.

6. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

Go to Amazon and search iPhone 5 external battery. You'll get a ton of results and can see prices and reviews.

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Subjective just like any question of "better". If one was clearly better then everyone would use that and none of the alternatives. You have to decide what your priorities and needs are and use that to select the option that suits you best. How much tethering do you do and how does it affect your battery life? If you're really concerned over battery life and don't want to deal with an external pack then a MiFi type of device might be better suited to you.

I just tether but I only occasionally need to do so with my MBP. My iPad has its own data. YMMV will vary depending on your needs/preferences.

8. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

My battery died soon after last post, but I will just buy an extended battery, especially if the Mifi would give the same coverage, and it's cheaper to just add more data on the iphone than pay separately for the Mifi.