Better to save money and get old iPod Touch or get the new one?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by i-Want-Apples, Sep 9, 2008.

1. i-Want-Apples macrumors regular

I'm planning to get a 16gb iPod Touch as soon as my local stores start carrying it. Very few options of where I can get it, really only one that will be on top of it, so I may end up ordering from Apple, but haven't decided.... Anyway. My friend was waiting to get an iPod touch until he seen what they were going to do today. He was hoping to get some nice new features, but most importantly wanted the price drop (He doesn't really have the money to spend on an iPod touch, but is determined to get it)

So, anyhow, my main question here is would he be better off getting the newer version and getting the additional features, or saving the money and getting the first gen. The only feature he is really interested in right now is the speaker, mainly to use the iPod as an alarm clock, etc. The other features are okay, but nothing he has to have... Also, he should still be able to get a $30 iTunes giftcard from Wal-Mart on the older one. So according to Amazons new prices that would be about $60 savings off the price.

He asked me for my opinion and I have no clue, so I told him I would check wtih the pros ;)

Thanks for any help!

2. Heather1 macrumors regular

Heather1

Guess you haven't heard of the price drop. The new 16GB touch now is only 299. I would soooo recommend the 2nd gen. one.

3. i-Want-Apples thread starter macrumors regular

He knows about the price discount. The new 16gb (for example) is going to be 299, the old one on amazon is $269. So he saves $30 that way, if get gets the iTunes giftcard, that would be another $30.

I just wasn't sure how everyone else felt about the changes and if it would be worth between $30-$60

4. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

I'd say its worth spending a lil more for the newer models for the better battery life and external volume controls. If your friend likes running, he might even like the Nike+ receiver built in. Also its even worth for the ability to use the new headphone that has a mic builtin. Very handy for voice memos and possibility VOIP if apple lets an app like that into the store.

5. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

does this question really need to be asked? eat 2 less meals and get external volume controls, a built-in speaker, and better battery life (a biggie). it also looks nicer

6. i-Want-Apples thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys... I totally agree the 2g is the better way to go. I think when I pick mine up I will go ahead and get him one too. He was planning to go as cheap as he could and I think down the road he would regret it.

Thanks again for your help!

7. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

+1