Better value, talkatone, skype, or carrier minutes?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vistadude, Jul 13, 2012.

1. vistadude macrumors 65816

I have an iphone 4 with at&t with about 4 months left to go on the current contract, and I’m on the 450 minutes plan. After talking with my fiancé for many months, I’ve used up all my rollover minutes and typically talk about 3000-4000 minutes per month, half of those during daytime minutes. I’d really hate to pay AT&T another $20 per month for 900 daytime minutes. Looking at the alternatives Talkatone and Skype seem to be the best. I’ve been using Talkatone so far since my fiancé already messages me on google voice, and it seems to be working decently well, the sound quality in the free version is okay, not great. The only downside is that I work in a building that has spotty 3G coverage, so I end up having to disable talkatone and use the standard google voice with forwards to my mobile phone and uses daytime minutes. Is talkatone premium (costing $20/year) better sound quality then the free version? Skype premium for unlimited calls to mobiles and landlines in USA costs $3/month plus $60/year for a online number, or $8/month averaged over a whole year. I’ve tried skype to skype calls, and the sound quality is fantastic, but my fiance’s phone can’t keep skype backgrounding reliably, her mac is unreliable with wifi, and we havn’t tried skype to mobile to see what the quality is like.

Which services would you use in my situation, or would you just pony up and pay at&t?

2. RNVarma macrumors regular

If you stay within the US, I would give Straight Talk a try (once your contract is up).

$45/month (plus taxes) for unlimited talk, unlimited SMS, and “unlimited” data.

3. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Skype to Skype. Just set up a thing where if you call her and hang up before she picks up, she knows to open Skype and then you can use that to talk. Or just have her pick up and say "I'll call you right back".