Betting 90% of all problems are not Leopards fault!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jbardi, Nov 4, 2007.

1. jbardi macrumors member

Now before everyone jumps all over me, I have to say, this is NOT the windows world. In PC land, there are thousands of motherboards, thousands of sound cards, thousands of video cards, thousands of 3rd party PCI cards, etc, etc, etc, so one would think major issues with an upgrade could be either Microsoft not vetting all the bugs before releasing it, or simply the fact that it is hard to support that much hardware perfectly.

In the Apple world, there are very limited hardware configurations, and for many, many, many users to have flawless installs while others with the exact model Macintosh are not having the same luck, it is very hard for me to imagine this is an Apple problem. I admit there are definitely bugs in Leopard, but they are very minor... consistent issues have to do with things such as Disk Utilities inability to repair permissions properly, etc, and issues with features removed or altered that people don't like, but nothing MAJOR such as blue screens, applications constantly crashing, safari failing to run, systems freezing up, inability to complete the install, etc, etc!

These issues have to do with the user. Forgetting to run Permissions Repair and Verify Disk before the install, having corrupted preference files, 3rd party hacks and patches, which would include APE (Application Enhancer) and certain unsupported 3rd party Safari, iTunes and iChat workarounds and plugins!

A good system upgrade from a previous OS is only supported to work without major error on a standard system where the user didn't hack and patch the system to hell or for those that do normal preventative maintenance with permissions and disk verification.

I think those that are saying Apple rushed the release of Leopard, are in fact upset that they themselves rushed the install without doing the proper backup and maintenance tasks before hand, and in the end, they start pointing fingers. We should all be here to help each other to resolve these issues, but I'm just tired of hearing over and over and over again about what a crappy and rushed release Leopard was. I have installed it on 3 machines I am using personally and 2 family machines, and I have not had a single problem. I have done straight upgrades, archive and installs and clean installs, but I am very particular about backups and preventative maintenance.

It is easy to blame your auto mechanic for your car constantly breaking down... but eventually, you have to look in the mirror and say, "Ya know, I think part of the blame has to fall square on these 2 shoulders"!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Brilliant point. That's why I erase and install instead. :)

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Which means you probably wasted a good bit of time and effort when you could have simply done an Archive and Install instead. ;)

jW

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

5. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

And? It's our time (I did erase as well) what does it matter to you?

FWIW, My Leopard works quite spiffingly.