Betty Ford Dead at 93

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Ugg, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

She moved into the White House when I was only 12 and I don't remember much about her from that time period. The one thing I do remember is that the only reason that I found out that my great grandmother had had breast cancer in 1971 is because Betty told the nation in 1974 that she had had a mastectomy. The woman did more for the normalization of cancer than anybody else.

I remember well when cancer was called "The Big C" and only spoken about in whispered tones.

Rest in Peace Betty, we all owe you a debt of gratitude for your bravery.

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

A Republican First Lady who outspokenly supported feminism, the Equal Rights Amendment and abortion rights.

Hats off to her. I wonder if she could even exist today.

3. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Nope... I don't think she could. Not one that was this outspoken!

RIP..

4. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

Like many first ladies, and especially those of her era, the role was forced upon her and she had to make the best of it that she could.

My mother's mother was born the same year that Betty was and women of her era were supposed to be seen and not heard. That she was willing to stand up and be heard is not only remarkable but almost unbelievable.

Michelle Obama has accepted her role with a grace and dignity that was unimaginable 40 years ago and she has Betty to thank as a role model.

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I find that to be a disgusting truth.

Society in the States is regressing, insofar as open dialogue is concerned.

R.I.P.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I blame 24 hour "news". You'd think with so many hours to fill with programming, we'd get more than sound bites and sensationalism.