BEWARE iTunes Match guinea pigs: iTunes Match NOT all that good at matching after all

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pooshka, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Pooshka macrumors 65816

Especially if you've got some rare, hard-to-find tracks in your library, do not rush to get rid of the lower bit rate ones and replace with the "matched" ones in bulk as Jason Snell of Macworld suggests here.

Basically, I have a very rare instrumental version of one of my favorite albums, and iTunes was able to match it. Yeah, rrrright! Just to be on a safe side, I decided to replace only one of the tracks with the matched one. Guess what, it replaced it with the regular album version.

I wish iTunes matching were smarter than just looking at song titles and artist names. I've got so many different versions of songs like radio, choral, live, acoustic, extended, dub, re-edits, etc, etc, etc.

Just a forewarning, not a rant. :)

2. djuzi05 macrumors regular

So you're writing off the whole program based one super rare, metallic charizard version of an instrumental that it didn't match exactly even though it was able to match it to the studio version?

Oh noesss gais, iTunes only matched the studio version of one song in my entire library instead of the holy grail version with more cowbell!! Curse iTunes Match!!

This forum is full of complainers.

3. reefoid macrumors regular

In fairness he's not writing off the whole program, but warning others of a pitfall. Useful for me when I get round to trying it out as I have a lot of live performances in my collection, so presumably many of these tracks will be matched with studio versions as well.

Ironic that you're moaning about people complaining by complaining yourself.

4. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

I don't understand the appeal of having ones library DRMed anyway ...

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Similar

And A VERY large library, I will try it out, but I'm in no rush!

6. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

Isn't he writing off the program based on the fact that his meta-data matched that of the live version? Just label the song properly? Correct me please if I'm getting the wrong end of the stick though.

7. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Source?

8. Vegasryn macrumors 6502

Thank goodness it doesn't do that!

9. nmork macrumors regular

[​IMG]

10. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

You're absolutely crazy if you don't back up all of your tunes to another drive before you go anywhere near Match.

11. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

I don't understand the appeal of posting nonsense as fact!

12. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

It is actually just the opposite. If you have any songs with DRM Match will remove the DRM. Get your facts correct before posting FUD.:eek: