Beware of Target "holding" a phone for you!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maverick22, Oct 12, 2012.

1. maverick22 macrumors 6502

So last night I went and did not have time to do an upgrade swap. The employee at the kiosk said we can hold it until tomorrow before we close. So I think, "great." I go tonight and as I pretty much assumed, they sold the one that was "reserved" for me. The manager claims they do not hold phones. I said well your employee sure didn't know this.

He claims he will call me when they get the next shipment in to make things right. We'll see....

2. Dennis187 macrumors regular

Dennis187

Target - someone in your scope who you are in dispute with, and the sound of bop bop bop seconds away.

3. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Never trust any of these stores. I had one pre-reserved at Walmart. They called me when it came in, and assured me that it would be held for 10 days before it goes to someone else. When I went in 7 days later, it was gone.

If they say they have it ready for you, go pick it up or forever part your ways.

4. maverick22 thread starter macrumors 6502

What sucks is that I actually saw the phones in her hand last night. She went out of her way to write on a sticky my name and number and then stuck that sticky on the box. I was in a rush and didn't have time to do the transaction last night. She assured me I could come tonight at 7:30, and all would be taken care of.

On the way there tonight I was telling myself "my" phone is probably now in someone else's hands.

5. ace198 macrumors regular

You didn't have five-ten more minutes to spare? Even if you were in a rush, it doesn't/shouldn't take more than ten minutes to activate an iPhone.

6. maverick22 thread starter macrumors 6502

I wanted to do an upgrade swap. I wasn't even planning on going by Target. My wife ordered take out, and the food was going to be ready in 5 minutes. Also, I was wanting to trade my wife's phone in and put that towards the new one. I would have had to gone back home to get it. No way I could have gotten all that done in 15 minutes (they close at 8:00).

7. maverick22 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, went to another local Target this morning just to chance it and see if they happen to have any 5's. They actually happen to have a white and a black 16GB for AT&T. I went ahead and got the black. Phone was great out of the box. The employee who was helping me was actually filling in. He was manager at another location and was fantastic. He said he had been working with cell phones for 14 years. He did the upgrade swap with no problem, traded in a ip4 for credit, and transferred wife/my contacts. I left extremely happy! So, good to know there are good Target mobile kiosk employees out there!

8. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I like Target but I'd never get an iPhone there.. rather get it from the Apple store or carrier.

9. Ivabign macrumors 6502

Ivabign

I'm sorry, but if someone "reserved" a 5 at a big-box store and thought they were going to hold it for 10 (TEN) days without it being activated is naive. Unless you paid for it when you reserved it - I sure as hell wouldn't hold a $700 item on the chance you might show up - with people reserving one place and picking up another - who knows if you will ever show up - if you paid - then they were wrong - if it was 'reserved' you should have been down there when it arrived.

10. maverick22 thread starter macrumors 6502

Not sure if you even read what I wrote. Don't know where you're getting TEN DAYS from. I walked into a Target one night right before close just to kill some time (7:45). They happen to have a couple in stock. I told the employee I was in a rush and couldn't do the transaction then. She asked if I could come back tomorow, that she will HOLD it for me (wrote my name and number on a sticky and put that on the box). I told her I'd be back at 7:30 tomorrow. She said fine, it will be here waiting for you! I show up the next night right at 7:30 as we talked about, but a different employee was there and the one that was supposed to be "HELD" for me was sold.

11. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

Moral of the story is that you can't trust these stores. No phones are actually guaranteed. They wrote my name on the wait list on the friday the phone came out and they never called me about getting any shipments in. So I just called a radioshack and they told it like it was, they can't hold any phones unless you have it pre-ordered. Then I just walked in and got it.

12. phillyphill macrumors 6502

phillyphill

He was responding to the other guy. Who reserved his at Walmart.

13. maverick22 thread starter macrumors 6502

Whoops--my apologies!

14. Jason Garza macrumors member

I bought two iPhone 5's from target with no problems. The day they started taking per orders I went to my local target and gave them a hundred dollar deposit (50 per phone). Week later they said the phones were in. I couldn't make it that day so I went in the next day. Took 20 mins the dude didn't even open the boxes. Best part of all I got 5% off cause I have the target debit card.

15. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

I bought my iPhone 5 from Target. I called and they were out of stock and the salesperson took my name and number and said they would call me if they got stock of a 64GB AT&T Black. She called me the next morning to tell me to come buy it. She held it for me.