Beyoncé's 'Lemonade' Now Streaming on Apple Music After Three Years of Tidal Exclusivity

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68030
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Now she’s straight up weird with all the goddessy queen and alter ego and Illuminati or faux Egyptian crap. They’re all getting that way. I don’t know if Madonna started it, but she’s the first one I remember going that way. Music is getting to be like some weird cult. They start out fresh and original and then become formulaic, when it’s clear they think they’re being edgy. Sad. Even Taylor Swift is dancing around with snakes and crap like she’s going down the same pop formula assembly line. WTH? Britney already did that and look where it’s gotten her. Go do something different.
Every few years I check in to see if there’s anyone doing anything actually new in pop music. The last time I heard anything new that wasn’t just a new low, was Dan Deacons Bromst album. That was a decade ago. Other than that, it’s all just been senior industry A&R dorks repackaging the stale old stage show cliches from the 1970s over and over again for an endless supply of teenagers with disposable income. With sexy new models pasted on them every so often.
[doublepost=1556169709][/doublepost]
"Every generation will scorn the next, and their music"
I fully disagree. I find nothing of value in this endless stream of disposable, low musical quality, semi-literate trash, and yet nearly all of my favorite music was made between 1600 and 1979, because Im still waiting for progress to happen

Just because I point to the failure of the United States to operate a functional space program or greater scientific funding, doesn’t mean I don’t like those things. I want them to continue growing and progressing, not just endlessly regurgitate old outdated schlock and wallow in it because there’s a new batch of kids who haven’t seen it before who can be sold on it.

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2019
I fully disagree. I find nothing of value in this endless stream of disposable, low musical quality, semi-literate trash, and yet nearly all of my favorite music was made between 1600 and 1979, because Im still waiting for progress to happen

Just because I point to the failure of the United States to operate a functional space program or greater scientific funding, doesn’t mean I don’t like those things. I want them to continue growing and progressing, not just endlessly regurgitate old outdated schlock and wallow in it because there’s a new batch of kids who haven’t seen it before who can be sold on it.
Those are fair points (although my musical tastes range a bit further into the 90's hard rock/metal bands).

However, your reply still sounds scornful of the current generation, and their musical taste.

Whether the scorn is valid is another discussion entirely.

CarlJ

macrumors 68040
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
A pattern that repeats endlessly is, when people remember the musical scene of some point in the past, they only remember the good parts, and they don't remember the sea of dreck those good parts were bobbing around in. And they take those beloved good parts and compare them against random stuff they hear now, and say, "see! (all) new music bad, (my selected) old music good!" So how does the year 1979 relate to when you were in high school and/or college? Many (not saying you necessarily) get their musical taste set then, and find anything afterwards (or much before) to be inferior.

I had the good fortune to grow up in a household where a huge variety of music was constantly playing, between my parents and older siblings I grew to appreciate a lot of music from "before my time" (one of the quirky commonalities my wife and I discovered early on was a fondness for 60's girl groups). I can find music I love from Elvis and Chuck Berry in the 50's, The Beatles and The Doors in the 60's, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin in the 70's, Prince and The Police in the 80's, Nirvana and Beck in the 90's, Fatboy Slim and Lady Gaga in the 00's, Nicki Minaj and Beyoncé in the 10's (and it was extraordinarily difficult to limit myself to just two random examples for each decade - you may not appreciate any of these, but you'd have a hard time disputing their musical talent).

I've found, in general, if one looks around a decade's music, and finds nothing of value, all that shows is you're not particularly talented at looking, or you're overly set in your ways and not receptive to really listening to unfamiliar material with an open mind. Go ahead and say, "the only good music was made in the X0's decade", but you're missing out - "I prefer music from (time period X)" is fine, it's a personal preference; adding, "... and all other music sucks" shows a lack of capability for musical appreciation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kyle4

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68030
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
A pattern that repeats endlessly is, when people remember the musical scene of some point in the past, they only remember the good parts, and they don't remember the sea of dreck those good parts were bobbing around in. And they take those beloved good parts and compare them against random stuff they hear now, and say, "see! (all) new music bad, (my selected) old music good!" So how does the year 1979 relate to when you were in high school and/or college?.
Yeah everyone knows how music nostalgia works. I was 3 in 1979. If I were to listen to the junk I was listening to in high school, it’d be the same bunch of schlocky 70s-derivative commercial 90s pop music from hip hop to metal we all had to choose from at the time. Thankfully, it takes but one listen back on that stuff to quash the nostalgia factor, and without that, it’s... poor. With the passing of time and fading of hype, you can more objectively evaluate music, and that best-of-era filter you mention becomes very useful in minimizing the cheese.

...although, speaking of nostalgia, this high school/college age generation sure seems susceptible to my generations lazy attempts to sell its childhood nostalgia back to itself in middle age. There are currently thousands of people under 24yo in this university dressed like they’re still in 1984-1992, a time when none of them were even alive. The girl sitting next to me in the lobby has her bangs up, is wearing painters pants rolled up at the ankles, & is watching “Friends” on her laptop. Why.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kyle4