Beyond bullying: man lured into trap, tortured for being gay

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by OutThere, Oct 8, 2010.

1. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

2. TheOnlyJon macrumors 6502a

TheOnlyJon

That's disgusting. They're truly the scum of the earth.

3. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

This is a terrible story, but I can't help but be suspicious of this part of it.
    This thorough cleanup doesn't really sound like the works of middle to slightly post-adolesant child who are uneducated enough to commit such a hate crime.
    I hope I'm wrong.

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

unlike some other threads this is an example of something I would call a true hate crime.

It was premeditated and done only because he was gay.

5. Queso macrumors G4

6. TheOnlyJon macrumors 6502a

TheOnlyJon

Since this thread could easily continue with people just saying "disgusting", "bastards", etc...why not get into a discussion?

What's a fair punishment for the offenders? And don't reference the Shawshank Redemption, either. 10 years? 15 years? What about for the younger ones (attackers ranged from 16-23 yrs. old)? Should they be tried as adults?

7. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

Disgusting. Unlike the Clementi story, this is clearly a hate crime. The gang should be imprisoned for torture, attempted murder, assault and batter, a hate crime, etc. All that thrice, once for each victim.

I am totally uneducated about US law, but I think that 15 years or more are appropiate. Maybe a bit less for the younger ones, there's still hope to set them on the right path.

8. Queso macrumors G4

Life with no chance of parole for the ringleaders. The rest of the them get 15 years.

This was planned. They obviously thought about long and hard before acting. Which means they either think gay people are animals and deserve no better, they don't give a **** about the law, or more likely both. Lock them up for everyone's benefit.

9. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

10. Salacion macrumors 6502a

There's not much to say about this occurrence. There are people in this world inspired by hate, fueled by some righteous prerogative of theirs. Some say it stems from religion, but much of it really emanates from history. Historically, it's always been about distinguishing right from wrong; what should be and what shouldn't. It's such a politically correct, yet a downright fallacious attitude. There is never a need to base action on odious judgement. People need to learn to accept cultural and personal differences, and live preoccupying themselves with themselves. But it's silly to say this, when it has more to do with a grasp for power/control, with violence being the obvious form to exert such fundaments.

Reality is as such; it's a vicious mentality that is seemingly impossible to break. You've got religion, politics and social agendas that serve as underlying factors instilled by your own parents, schooling systems and larger-than-life personas. Such is life.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

What the hell is going on lately? I have not heard of so much anti-gay violence since the 80s.

Funny how some of you are all of a sudden OK with hate crimes charges.

12. Queso macrumors G4

My guess is two things. The USA is undergoing economic turmoil and people have a lot of deep seated anger looking for an outlet, and thanks to the likes of NOM and various other organisations painting gay people as a threat to society or somehow lesser than normal people the anger is finding itself headed in our direction.

Events like this as well as others of similar nature expose humanity as the vindictive nasty and downright disgusting creatures we are. Let's hope the meteor falls on us all soon. Our species is broken and doesn't deserve to survive.

13. Lostanddamned macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

I know what you mean, its like the standards of tolerance have stepped back 30 years, and with less restraint

"One suspect was taken to the hospital unconscious Friday night, with an undisclosed medical problem."
    I can only hope that it was a severe allergy to blunt trauma.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's seriously scary. Just in the last few weeks it seems like it's open season on the homos. It's time to fight back.

15. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

Who wasn't OK with it before?

16. Lostanddamned macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

No, whilst the anti-gay violence brings the taste of vomit to my mouth, fighting back is absolutely the wrong move to make, but the community will - sadly - become more insular, less people will out themselves in a situation where they can then be tortured or murdered over the fact.

It makes me sad.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

A lot of people. Just search the forum.

BS. Fighting back is the right thing to do. People need to know that they can defend themselves.

18. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

Currently, the much of the US population seems to be about as tolerant as Iran's government. I blame it on too much religion, the Tea Party, economic recession, Fox News, ...

19. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

this has been the first thread made that to me is directly targeting homos.

The rest of them were the results of bullies but no different than normal bullies (target someone for being different) I would not lump the others as gay targeting. If you do then you are almost considering bullies people for other reasons as not being as bad as targetting them for being gay when I strongly am against. Bulling needs to be attack for being bullies and that is a good enough reason in itself.
    I do not want kids who suffered like I did not to be helped because we are straight.

Like I said before this is what I define as a hate crime. Hate crimes in my book are not a crime of passion but pre meditated but that is just me.

20. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

these people make me sick. they need to be castrated! simple as that. human rights? they gave up those when they planned this discgraceful act.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Many here used to talk about how hate crime legislation was some type of reverse discrimination. Didn't make sense to me...

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Why the hell would straight kids not be helped? You can't possibly be serious.

23. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I do not think gay kids should be helped above them. Bulling (no matter straight, or gay) should be treated the same.

I was pointing out that in the other post I feel this is the first one that I would call truly anti gay. The rest fall under bullieing which is a different matter.

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Who said they were? Honestly, that sounds like Something Glenn Beck would say. That's just utterly ridiculous.

25. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

please read what you wrote where I first start made my argument
    I was pointing out this seems to be the first article posting that was directly relating to gays. The other ones you posted all had to do with bullieing and had nothing to do with targeting homos. I do not want those topic put under the same umbrella since I feel they belong under the bullieing category as evidence that bullieing needs to be stopped. I do not want those bulling ones to be treated as an example of ways gays need to be protected since they are much better poster example of the problems with bullies.

This one is a great example of a hate crime and should be treated as such.