Beyond Meat is taking off

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Solomani, May 9, 2019.

?

How do you feel about Beyond Meat? (and similar plant-based meat)

Poll closed May 30, 2019.
  1. If it tastes like chicken, I see no problem

15 vote(s)
    51.7%
  2. It's fake! The vegans/vegetarians are ruining everything!

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  3. I'll cautiously wait for more studies and data to see if it's a "safe" alternative

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  4. Let's skip this stuff, and go straight to Soylent Green

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
  1. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Several chain restaurants said that their promotional offerings of Beyond Meat items have taken off. That includes Carl's Junior burgers, and Del Taco tacos, etc.

Beyond Meat's first day as a Wall Street IPO was a huge success.

So what's your take? Will this put your favorite butchers out of business? Have the militant vegans gone too far? Is everyone too hard on the L.A. Lakers?

And lastly…. have you tried it yet? I plan to try it in the coming week.

2. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Impossible Foods will put a hurt on them once they move to retail stores. Overall, I eat them both. BM is tasty and very good as a burger replacement. Their sausage is very tasty. The Chicken not so much. Impossible Burgers though taste much more like the real thing.

Our entire family has been on a whole food plant based diet for health and wellness reasons and it's benefited all of us. YMMV but overall, I'm fine with Beyond Meat and Impossible Foods.

3. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I've tried both the Impossible and Beyond burgers and I think they're pretty tasty, and indistinguishable from a real burger once toppings are on as well. If it's healthier, and more environmentally friendly than meat production, I would like to see fast food embrace it for the majority of their products, as I don't think many would notice the difference.

4. samcraig macrumors P6

I'm eager to try them. "Bare Burger" seems to have both. Probably will try the Impossible one first.

5. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Why not just eat vegetables and fruit if you do not wish to eat meat? I guess I do not understand the need for meat-mimics. Even if you want to stick something between two halves of a bun, one can grill vegetables.

6. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Because it doesn't taste the same. I think it's about making plant-based options a seamless transition for people who want to eat less meat (for whatever reason), but enjoy the taste of meat, like myself.

7. samcraig macrumors P6

I try and eat more cauliflower rice than white rice these days. Sometimes I even get the cauliflower crust pizza (or make it). I would happily eat an Impossible Burger vs a regular burger because I like/want the taste of meat. But if it's healthier - I would choose the "meat mimic" vs the meat.

Also - there are people that go vegetarian for humane reasons but still crave meat. These products seem like a great "compromise."

8. Solomani thread starter macrumors 68040

Solomani

And some are compelled to go "occasional vegetarian" for other reasons…. health, and even religious reasons. I myself need to cut down a bit on my cholesterol. That means I limit the amount of animal-based products I eat. Meats, eggs, and even dairy/cheese are foods that are typically high in fats and (LDL) cholesterol.

And then there is religious-based reasons…. halal, kosher, etc. Plant-based meats can be made kosher/halal with little extra effort. And catholics can finally eat a plant-based "burger" during Lent Fridays.

9. Mousse macrumors 68010

Mousse

Y'all kidding? No way we Catholics give up our lobster dinner during Lent for fake meat.;) I love Lent, except for Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.

Every Easter I stay up at till midnight outside a cave. I wait for the rock to roll away from the entrance and for the guy to come out. If he sees his shadow it's 2 more weeks of Lent.* Yay! Two more weeks of lobster dinners.

*Oh wait. How does he sees his shadow at night? No wonder there's never 2 more weeks of Lent.:(

10. trillionaire macrumors regular

trillionaire

I don't have a problem with it. It's a step in the right direction for people who want substitutes that give the same experience.

11. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

People cook and spice vegetables in countless ways to make them delicious. This is just another way.

12. bigeasy_uk macrumors 6502

Apparently you are allowed to eat beaver and capybara meat during Lent too because the catholic church declared them both as fish!

13. weckart macrumors 601

Probably because fruit and vegetables are deficient in protein and you need that. These meat substitutes add in a whole load of soya and other non-meat proteins so you can have a balanced diet. No one these days is going to eat a ton of beans and lentils and put up with the farting that follows.

14. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

If they could make it without the fiber and sodium. Plus have it taste like plain, unseasoned meat. I'd be interested.

15. LordVic macrumors 603

Meh, I'm not particularly picky about the source of my food. As long as it's safe to eat, and tastes good, I'll shove it down my throat.

16. JagdTiger macrumors 6502

JagdTiger

So, it’s vegi burgers?

17. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

I tried not to laugh but I couldn't help myself. :D The end of Lent will never be the same again for me...

On the fake meat thing. Not sure about trying it. I mostly eat veggies with the very occasional total blowout for spicy Chinese beef, pork, chicken or whatever else they're pitching that night. I guess if I suddenly got a craving for a beef burger I'd rather try one of the fake meat ones over a foray into Mickey D's for their standard fast food burgers.

I do wonder a little about fake meat, the creating and processing conditions, how they avoid contamination. I'd probably get over the wonderment assuming I didn't hear about any untoward incidents. I don't wonder about packaged tofu any more, and have never had a bad package of it. It's probably safer than the freshly made stuff I used to buy at Korean produce markets in the city up until the late 1990s. For some reason I never thought twice about that, the blocks of tofu were just floating in barrels of water near the greens.

Anyway I had already survived "grey meat" in college dining halls, so after that what could be a real challenge? I'm a little like my dad's grandfather though: he was a veterinarian and liked beef served well done enough so it didn't occur to him while carving a roast that with some medical attention he could probably cure the critter.

18. EEzycade macrumors regular

EEzycade

I see no problem with it. If you like it, I’m glad. But I’ll stick with real beef thanks.

19. chown33 macrumors 604

20. sean000 macrumors 68000

sean000

So far I have tried only the Beyond Burger and it was excellent. It’s more expensive than ground beef, but personally I think part of the problem is that meat is often too cheap while produce is too expensive.

I’m happy eating these as a more humane and environmentally friendly option, but they aren’t much healthier. For a healthier burger option our go-to grill pucks are salmon burgers. Trident seafoods is based here in Bellingham and sell wild salmon burgers in the frozen section of many grocery stores and Costco. Of course I can only eat so many salmon burgers, so I’m a fan of beef burgers too. As far as I’m concerned the Beyond Burgers satisfy my burger cravings and I’ve heard the Impossible Burger 2.0 is even better.

21. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

First time I tried them was earlier this year at the CES show in Vegas.
    I saw some debate about them the other day online regarding the preservatives which were used in them to being equivalent to processed meat or something like that.

22. weckart macrumors 601

Just checked out the macros. Not impressive.

• Calories: 270
    • Fat: 20 g (5 g sat fat)
    • Sodium: 380 mg
    • Carbohydrates: 5 grams
    • Fiber: 3 grams
    • Sugars: 0 grams
    • Protein: 20 grams
    Fine for a keto/Atkins diet but not much else. It’s trivial to find leaner burgers for less money.

23. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Cauliflower rice is just weird to me. The GF loves it, but it's a strange concept. I like meat, but only eat red meat perhaps once a month. Chicken more often. I've always liked veggie burgers for years, depending on the place.

24. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

Not cheap, the original impossible burger is $16 alone just for the burger before taxes and if you decide to get some fries and a drink you will need to add more. If you order just a burger and nothing else you are well over $17. That would be $17 for just a burger which is not something everyone can afford these days. Lunch for two for burger, curly fries o_O and a drink can be $50-60 :eek: When I was a kid back in 1985 that could buy two tickets to Disneyland