BGR: Retina MacBook Pro ‘Staingate’ might be getting its own class action suit

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by groverb, Jul 11, 2015.

1. groverb macrumors newbie

I hope that MR can do a little more investigation on this.

From the article:
    Staingate” is yet another issue that Apple has to deal with, and this particular “gate” concerns the Retina MacBook Pro. More than 2,500 people have been affected by the issue, according to a website dedicated to Staingate, and a law firm is already looking at initiating legal action against Apple.

“We are a group of Apple customers that paid more than 2000 USD/EUR for a Macbook that is showing horrific stains in the screen,” the group said on the Staingate.org site. “The stains [as seen in the image above] can start as early as seven months after the purchase. There is no clear pattern as to how it starts: some experience it in small spots around the edge, on other screens it appears in the middle as large patches.”

Apple deems the issue “cosmetic damage, and it is not covered by the warranty,” and charges up to $800 for repairs with a three-month warranty, the site says.​

Read the rest of the article here: https://bgr.com/2015/07/10/retina-macbook-pro-staingate-class-action-suit/

2. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

Interesting... I saw this hit the BBC News main page this past week as well. Guess time will tell how much momentum this has got.

For the record, I had my Late 2013 rMBP's display replaced under Apple Care before a lot of this blew up for this exact reason. New display seems to be fine so far, so it could be related to a batch issue during production.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That would be good to see how many people this does affect. I do believe however class action suits are useless, unless you're a lawyer. The plaintiffs usually only get a tiny amount (like 25 dollars) in the form of a gift card once the suit is settled.

Having more information on the issue, however will be good, since I have a 2012 rMBP and I'm concerned about the antireflective coating has flaked off on that model (but so far not mine).