Biden asks for website's "number"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by TheQuestion, Feb 25, 2009.

1. TheQuestion macrumors regular

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

This gaffe may be indicative of the era in which Biden was raised, but not of his knowledge of the internet. He confused terms, but there's no evidence to support the notion that Biden doesn't fully grasp the concept of a url.

3. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Punch cards. Remember those? I don't, but my parents do.:p

I'm betting he was confusing it with that.

4. TheQuestion thread starter macrumors regular

You mean aside from calling it a "number"? Because I make that mistake all the time! :confused:

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

And how old are you exactly?

My dad mislabels things all the time but still knows what they are like "Best Buys" and "the google".

6. TheQuestion thread starter macrumors regular

Everyone knows the internet is a series of cards? Or Tubes. Whatever...

7. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

The only story here is the guy charged with stimulus oversight doesn't know the web address of his administration's own program - which makes him every bit at home among Washington bureaucrats.

8. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

...and if it had been George Bush who had mistakenly said 'number' instead of 'address', he would have never heard the end of it. Just another example of the double standard of the left.

9. gibbz macrumors 68030

Frankly, who gives a crap? I would much rather he be working for the country than making sure he knows a URL. The ability to do one is not linked with the other.

10. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Look up DNS. You can navigate the internet without typing URLs you'd just type the IP addresses.

So it's not inaccurate for him to call it a "number"

11. Wiska macrumors member

EPIC fail for the OP. :D

12. gibbz macrumors 68030

Unlike how the Republican party is supposedly all for less government and spending, yet they had no problem starting the initial bailout of private institutions, $350 billion of which went poof. No double standard there, huh?

Say what you will, but at least the Obama administration is trying to be transparent. The Bush administration would have never let us see how the stimulus money would have been spent (oh wait, that is what happened with the first bailout).

Biden can call the website a red-headed step-child for all I care as long as he is doing his job with oversight.

13. TheQuestion thread starter macrumors regular

hmmm...somehow I doubt that's what he was talking about, however accurate your comment is

14. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Doesn't matter. He was right. So what's the point of writing an article, even if he didn't know he was right?

EDIT: It just appears that YOU, whoever wrote the article, and the bloggers the article referred to don't know how the internet works.

15. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Shouldn't that include something as simple as knowing the address of your oversight agency? Perhaps the job is too demanding...

16. gibbz macrumors 68030

Is he going to be adding anything to the site. Perhaps he is a weekend web developer. If the answer is no, who cares if he knows the website. It has has nothing to do with his job.

17. Trip.Tucker Guest

How? Explain why one comment makes for "epic fail for the op". It is far more believable to state that you have just failed based on your comment alone.

18. TheQuestion thread starter macrumors regular

Now wait one minute, in the other posters defense, based on Biden's embarrassment (which he admitted to) and that he fact that he said HE SHOULD KNOW the address, it would seem your comment is simply not true. Of course he should have known the address. it was the whole point of the interview - that's what he was on screen to do - to promote the program. He should have known the address. That's from the horse's mouth.

19. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

It's REALLY not a big deal. Or really even a point of interest...

20. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

It's really not. I was just thinking of something he could confuse it with.

Honestly Joe Biden, no one cares about you.....

21. chapel321 macrumors member

Right! Because he's on the Left side!:rolleyes: Had it been a Republican that said it, well....let the grilling begin.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

No, its because hes old and not expected to know the terminology. I dont make a fuss when someone older mistakes the TERMS. If they go ahead and make up words however thats a different story.....

23. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Awwww poor republicans. They're just getting picked on right? They mean well. Everyone's just bullying them. :rolleyes:

24. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

25. TheQuestion thread starter macrumors regular

I'll put this a different way. If Tim Cook had said today when asked what his company's web site is and he responded "that's really embarrassing, I should know it but I don't" - I'd sell my stock. It's not quite the same thing, but I would expect more from our VP, just as I would expect more from a company's COO.