Biden backs health care for illegal immigrants,

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, May 28, 2019.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/bi...vKpa_ZKjhK9lP-qmSAfebuVF6JgF59kouDYXOFFQcbxBM
    wonder how that will play out.

2. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Shocking to see the establishment left promoting a human rights issue that will financially benefit their corporate donors on the backs of taxpayers. Way to move far leftest issue #58 straight to the top, Joe.

3. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well, I'm sure the knee-jerk reaction from the anti-immigrant crowd is to punish people by denying them health care, but from a public health standpoint, there's a lot to be saved from just treating people, whether that's disease, mental illness, or an injury.

Moreover, we already treat unauthorized immigrants if they're injured in Border Patrol custody, or if they're sick, and ICE spends quite a bit of money on treating people in both private and government run prisons. Of course, a lot of the latter care is terrible, and private companies are making a hefty sum treating people as poorly as possible. Nonetheless, we already paid for this.

And, we also have to accept that because we have mixed status families, with U.S. citizen children and legal permanent residents marrying unauthorized immigrants, that refusing care often harms those in our country legally, and our own citizens.

Biden is correct to say that we have an ethical right to provide care, and we already do, even under the Trump administration's rapacious attempts to make this country turn against both legal and illegal immigrants.

4. VictorTango777 macrumors 6502

The alternatives are:
    Hospital emergency rooms crowded with people who have non-emergency issues.
    People with conditions that could have been treated with simple primary care, but they ignored it until it developed into a full-blown emergency.

Actually, don't health care providers already face these problems?

5. Mousse macrumors 68010

Mousse

I blame the exorbitant cost of health care in 'Muerica. We don't do the ounce of prevention like people in countries with universal health care. We wait until we're in critical condition so that our insurance kicks in and foot the bill. Why pay $15,000 for health insurance every year only to never use it because you haven't spent the $5000 in deductibles for the insurance to kick in? Gotta get sick enough for the bill to reach $300K so that the health insurance we buy would be worthwhile.o_O

6. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Some years back I didn’t have health insurance and after 3 days of being curled up in a fetal position with abdominal pain I felt a little better enough to take myself to the closest hospital. I was there for about 30 minutes and they concluded I got food poisoning and by the next day it was pretty much gone. That little visit without insurance cost me $2,500, but out of the goodness of their heart for me not having insurance they knocked it down to $2,300. Bless you! Oh, the savings!

I had insurance through employers for about 15 years before that, that I never really used. That was just money down the toilet I guess.