Biden Charges Secret Service Rent to Use Cottage Next to His Home

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Apple OC, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I would go with chances are we are missing information and we should see if that cottage was rented out before hand to other people before the Secret Service started using it.

if that is true then nothing is exactly wrong with it. It is a rental property and as such valid income for biden and I would not be surpised if you dig threw others in the past that you would see some rental cost in that ball park that they Secret Service was paying. Only difference is the owner happens to be the VP this time.

That being said for political reasons he might want to refund all that money and give it to them for free.

3. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

The Clintons do the same for the SS cottage on their property in New York.

4. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

As usual, the Fox story is light on context and details. What is the official policy of the US Secret Service with regard to these kinds of arrangements? How did the USSS deal with security and teleconferencing upgrades to Bush's ranch just outside of Crawford, TX?
    How often does the USSS rent nearby structures for protection duty?
    The Drudge Report story on this tries to make some hay out of Biden being listed as a 'vendor' rather than Vice President. Maybe, because they were trying to keep this quiet.

Of course, had this been Cheney's old haunts I'm sure the GOP would be screaming about the release of classified materials that threaten national security and Cheney's personal safety.

It's another case of Fox looking for a stick to hit Democrats with, regardless of the complicated details of a story.

5. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

With a net worth between $59,000 and $366,000, and almost no outside income or investment income, he was consistently ranked as one of the least wealthy members of the Senate.

What a vulture!!

6. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

It doesn't matter who the property belongs too. If it doesn't belong to the Secret Service then it is only fair that they are paying to use it if they so choose.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

That's how much of the thread I read until I stopped.

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

That's too bad. Read the post just above yours. That's the key to this tempest in a teaparty pot.

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I thought we were all fans of the free market here ;)

10. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I'm not sure i see the problem here. It's his private property which he owns, why shouldn't he charge someone rent who is living in it? It's not his obligation to rent it to the secret service for free.

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

As long as it passes scrutiny as to the amount paid. ;)

12. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

That's exactly it. From the price quoted, for that area it seems like a reasonable rate. There is no reason he should lose out on rent from someone jsut because the secret service wants to use it.

13. Surely Guest

Surely

Ha! See what happens when you trust Faux News for information?:rolleyes:

I see no problem with charging them rent.

Slow news day in Canada or something?

14. Apple OC thread starter macrumors 68040

Apple OC

the story is from The Washington Times ...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/jul/31/biden-charging-secret-service-cottage-rental/

Last year, Biden and his wife, Jill, reported earning over $350,000 ... IMO when you own the joint next door, why not let the Secret Service use it while they protect your butt ... pure greed.

15. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

He owns it. Somebody else is living there. They should pay the owner acceptable rent.

Just like how the President pays taxes. Nobody is above the law, not even Secret Service. Now it is another thing if Biden chooses to not accept payment from the SS in return for protection, but he is not obligated to do so. It's his income. He bought/inherited the property with means to gain some investment out of it. His position does not mean that he should be robbed of that.

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes, but you are a Canadian, are you not? Why do you care?

Or perhaps you are a disgruntled former American?

17. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

People like Dick Cheney and Rupert Murdoch didn't get rich by giving people free rent. Why should Biden be any different?

18. Apple OC thread starter macrumors 68040

Apple OC

from the article ...

I wonder how much he charged his elderly mother to stay there?

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

what does it matter? It is his property and he can charge as much or as little as he wants

20. 184550 Guest

I think this wins 'Most Hypocritical Statement' of the month.

21. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I'm sure that if it was an exhorbitant amount, Fox would have provided us such critically important details. This is important stuff the country needs to know right now.

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

From the article. :rolleyes:

23. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Does that come as a plaque, or statuary??

Plaque preferred, as I still have some wall space available, but flat surfaces are in short supply.

24. Surely Guest

Surely

Who cares? Seriously? That doesn't matter at all. :rolleyes:

It's his property. He can charge rent if he chooses to.

If he's charging them well above the going rate for the area, then I can see that as a problem. EDIT: thank you rdowns, I see he is charging the going rate.

I guess he should provide food and drink to them for free as well? Should he pay for the gas in their cars? For the dry cleaning of their suits? For the batteries in their ear-pieces?