Biden is Democrat feared by GOP

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by RootBeerMan, Sep 29, 2018.

1. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Now this is kind of interesting. GOP strategists are saying that their biggest fear is Biden winning the Democratic primary. Looks like they aren't sure about Trump being able to beat Biden in a general election. In poll's where it's a Biden v Trump race, Biden is polling higher than Trump. It would certainly be an interesting race to watch. Both of them have problems with not being able to keep their mouths shut when necessary, but Biden is a better speaker and really does have a broader appeal. It just remains to be seen if the Democratic rank and file will give him their votes in the primary or if they'll go hard left with another Bernie run or even a Warren. I'm not sure either of them could beat Trump, as their appeal seems too narrow. There are other potential contenders, but I'm not sure who has the broader appeal, (and will bring the independent votes in). Guess we'll have to wait and see, though. That GOP operatives are speaking up on a Biden run this far out is something.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/408419-biden-is-democrat-feared-by-gop

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I'm still counting on something like a Booker/Harris combo for 202.

3. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Why not let Biden have his bite at the apple, I mean, who doesn't like Joe. He's the type of guy you could see yourself having a beer with.

Liberals may go left, or feel they need a woman or minority to hold wings of the party together, tho I don't know if Booker or Warren have broad enough appeal in the general election. Meaning, I'm not sure how they play with white male swing voters.

Biden vs. Trump, I'd have to go Biden unless he went far left on gun control.

Booker vs. Trump, I'd likely go Trump, Booker just rubs me the wrong way.

Warren vs. Trump, again how far left would she go on gun control.

Tho it's not a given to me that it will be Trump in 2020. I'd prefer Niki Haley.

Haley vs. Biden, it would be tough, as Biden has lots of credentials, but I just like Haley, so I'd have to go that way.

Booker vs. Haley, Haley hands down.

Warren vs. Haley, Haley hands down.

Others I think may end up in the mix for the GOP, if Trump dies in office, is removed, or even just primaried, would be Mitt and Ryan.

Either vs Biden, likely Biden, unless he went California gun control.

Either vs Booker, (R) for sure.

Either vs Warren, depends on how the campaign shakes out.

4. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

As usual, the elections boil down to everyone selecting the lesser of two evils. So sad that we are at this stage. Biden is sort of a snake, IMO. I don’t trust him at all but he’s a zillion times better than warren or some of the other full blown communists that the dems will be chucking out there.

Even though I do find Trump to be sort of a clown I almost want him to win again just for the pure entertainment value of how big a meltdown the SJW posse will have this time. They may just explode internally and disintegrate. :D

5. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Don't forget to add Hillary to the mix. Don't think she is going to go away.

6. GermanSuplex, Sep 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018

GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Biden is not Trump - default vote. I'd like someone younger, to be honest.

7. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

I don’t think Biden will even win the primaries. I think it’ll be a non-establishment liberal.

And I hope Booker doesn’t get the nomination, Democrats would just be asking for a loss.

8. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

I'm sorry, but ruining the country, the economy, jobs, standing in the world and government is not entertaining. Only a nihilist would think it was. You folks need to get behind someone primarying this idiot,before he does something irreversible and catastrophic. The man is a clear and present danger to the republic.

9. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

Sorry, that's like saying that I want Hillary to win just to see every Republican have a coronary.

I'd prefer someone other than Biden, Warren, or Booker .Who that would be, I don't know yet.

10. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

You really need a better understanding of the term "full-blown" communist. There is no one in the democratic party who fits that description. Unless you're ignorant enough to think that Scandinavian countries are full-blown communist.

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

^ I know. That "communist" stuff got a laugh out of me. How some people see the world...... :rolleyes:

I can see the appeal of Biden. The "trendy" thing to go with in politics these days is someone who is a straight shooter, and Biden is that. What you see is what you get. Only about a billion times smarter and more gentlemanly than Trump.

That said, the guy's getting up there. If he were still a young man, he'd be hard to beat in 2020.

12. R.Perez, Sep 30, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2018

R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

Personally, I want Warren to run. While she's a bit to the right of where I'd want her to be, she seems genuine in her positions which is rare. Bernie seems equally genuine but I worry about his age. Not that he can't do the job, he's got a lot of spunk for a guy almost in his 80's, but because I worry it would become a liability in the general. I like Booker for similar reasons that I liked Obama, but like Obama, he is too swayed by political expediency and the donor class. Clinton was the embodiment of that on the democratic side. I genuinely believe that the US is more lefty than we are given credit for. But even more than that, I think most folks just want someone they can believe, regardless of where they stand on issues. I've heard a lot of dyed in the wool conservatives say they are willing to support someone far to the left of them politically if they don't get the sense that they are full of ****. Not to mention the 100 million who don't vote because they don't think it matters. We need someone who gives them a reason to care and a reason to believe that a different world is possible.

13. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

A lot of people would vote for Biden based on the fact they been wanted him as president.

14. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

What I like are leaders who can talk specifics, not generalized campaign slogans. Besides being completely unqualified, nor have an acceptable tenor for the job, all Trump can do is shout divisive campaign slogans.Hence Biden can runcircles around him when it comes to details. However, the other half of the coin are the minions who lap up Trump’s poison.

15. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

No, not Warren. If Trump is the GOP candidate, (most likely scenario) he will eat her alive. She's just too weak to stand up to his bullying and campaign style. Hillary had the backbone and sociopathy to endure against him, but Warren just doesn't have it. I also do not see her having any appeal to independents. She's just too left of center for a majority of Americans to stomach and perceived as a bit too wishy washy. Overall she just lacks broad appeal.

16. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

You might be right about Warren being too timid for Trump, but we might also be feeding into stereotypes about women in general. I do not agree with your other premise however. This idea that the "majority" is centrist just isn't true, not when it comes to actual positions on various issues from economic justice to the environment. Hillary was the perfect centrist most of her political career, until Bernie pushed her slightly to the left. She only ever took politically expedient positions that aligned with some mythical center that doesn't exist. What did she get for it? Vitriol from the right and a general sense that she couldn't be trusted, partially because she never seemed to take a genuine position on anything.

17. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Problem with Warren is she's almost as much hated as Hillary.

18. Herdfan macrumors 6502

But she could be the first Native American and first female to be President.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 30, 2018 ---
    You just nailed it.

She parsed every sentence that came out of her mouth so it could be taken multiple ways. Contrast that with Trump who said exactly what was on his mind and it was no wonder he beat her. People were just tired of politicians and he came from a different direction.

19. R.Perez, Sep 30, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2018

R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

The problem is that roughly 70% of what comes out of Trumps mouth is a lie. The guy is a con-artist, plain and simple.

20. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Whoa. The economy is cranking right now. Super low unemployment. Businesses are hiring, paying bonuses and stuff like that. Unemployment is especially low among certain demographics too. It’s the usual: when things are going well financially for people it’s bad news for democrats. They HATE prosperity and when people are working and NOT needing govt handouts. I get it.

Ruining the country? How so? Tensions with North Korea have calmed way down. What, a few European countries don’t like us? What else is new? Their problem, not ours.

A danger to the country? As if the crazy democrats aren’t? What are democrats proposing that’s so "good" for this country? Cmon man, you can do better.

21. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Hillary Clinton always came across as inauthentic, even when she was being authentic. And, she was dragging multiple boat anchors—Bill's scandals, her own hubris over email. Fair or unfairly, these scandals always killed her momentum as a candidate, especially when she needed it most.

Trump did come from a different direction, but I also think he got a lot more help from a crowded and weak primary cast —JV-level Bush, the most-hated man in the Senate, a collection of whatshisfaces, a forgettable CEO, some Fox News guy—that even when he didn't win a primary, he maintained a fairly solid momentum.

Look at Texas. On Feb. 25, 2016 Cruz took the state with 1.24 million votes, but the bottom 12 candidates split nearly 822,000 votes between them, rapidly overtaking Trump's own of around 759,000 which put him in the number two spot.

Or Arizona. On March 22, 2016, Trump took the state with around 287,000 votes, but the other 12 candidates split up more than 337,000 votes, most of them going to Ted Cruz with around 173,000.

My sense is that Cruz and Rubio often stole votes from each other, and Kasich could have sustained a candidacy if he didn't have to compete with the rest.

Trump's success is probably inherently not replicable. His candidacy garnered massive media coverage in a crowded field of middling candidates.

22. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

A lot of serious candidates are never taken seriously simply because the media gives little coverage. So in that same sense, the media helped to put the crown on Trump by constantly giving him coverage.

23. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Sure. The 2016 election had several feedback loops, and one was definitely the candidacy of Donald Trump. Cable news was custom built for Trump's candidacy, because his statements could be boiled down, and argued over, easily.

Thus, he garnered media coverage from saying insane things, and the other candidates couldn't get out of each other's way, so media coverage never had a foil to focus on. Had there been one or two candidates, I don't think he would have done as well.

And, the lack of charisma among the candidates meant that Trump seemed like the most authentic person, even though he was obviously the con-man among the group.

Which meant as his candidacy started to pick up steam, the others increasingly lost media coverage and votes, and ended up further and further behind.

24. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

25. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

An empty podium waiting for Trump got more airtime than entire candidates got. This must never be forgotten. The corporate “resistance” is a farce.