Big Bang controversy grows:

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by tshrimp, Jan 8, 2015.

1. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

I found this by accident but found it interesting. I am not familiar with this publication, so take it as you will.

Big Bang controversy grows:

I am sure it it doesn't support some peoples belief it will be a publication that is too conservative or too liberal :)

2. chabig macrumors 68040

I wouldn't call it a controversy. I'd just say it's science.

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Exactly.

What it doesn't lead to is the answer that God kept it from collapsing.

4. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    But He may have, through independently verifiable, physically sound methods. Therefore, the discovery neither proves nor disproves the existance of a God.

Oooohhhh.

5. chabig macrumors 68040

Of course this has nothing to do with a God. The article discusses a possible error in a scientific theory. That's how science works--theories change (or at least get re-examined) when new, verifiable data points to an error.

6. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Yeah, I know. I'm just being pedantic for Zen's sake here.

7. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

For all we know, the Big Bang could have been caused by some really bad flatulence brought on by $DEITY eating a bad burrito from Loki's East Side Taco Shack, on the corner of Regulus and Pollux.

BL.

8. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Technically the Big Bang Theory is a controversy because it is a matter of opinion that large number of people have sided with (by definition).

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

WRONG! There wasn't a Regulus and Pollux before the Big Bang!

...but the burritos are still a possibility.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

If I'm not mistaken, they're getting ready to fire up CERN for the next round of collisions in a month or so. That ought to provide some information on this matter.

11. chabig macrumors 68040

The theory isn't controversial. People's opinion on the theory is controversial.

12. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Haha well of course. Nothing is controversial on its own.

13. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

The authors of the paper admit they may have made a crucial mistake. So what's the relevance at this point?

----------

The theory is controversial because people vigorously disagree on how or whether it happened. The most disturbing big bang universe to me would be one where it ends in a steady state heat-death. That would mean it all occurred only once, so what set it off?

I'm much more comfortable with a big bang universe that ends in big crunch, thus resulting in another bang cycle. While that still had to have a start at some point, it's being argued that the cycles may extend with and against the arrow of time, so the loop would not have a start or end point--it just always has been.

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The Daily Mail, aka, the Daily Fail, is the UK's version of the National Enquirer. It's a tabloid. Brits don't take it seriously, and neither should any one else.

15. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

So the Mexicans (Aztec) were right?

16. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Big bang, pshaw.

It's time to accept that the "universe" in which we live is actually a computer simulation.

17. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That's not the problem with the Daily Mail. It's not that it's overly conservative in its interpretation. They often have egregious errors in fact checking and poor reporting. It's just not a very good source of information.

18. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I think the controversy is that someone is sitting in Sheldon SPOT.:p

19. tshrimp thread starter macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Greatness :)

I did find this same information elsewhere when I Googled it. So those who don't like the original site mentioned, and are interested, can find this information on sites that might be more to your liking.

20. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Wasn't there a recent test to determine if we are or aren't part of a computer simulation?

I personally love the philosophical theory that we're all the figment of one person's imagination.

21. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

This reminds me of that final scene in Men in Black and Men in Black 2, where in the first Men In Black, our entire universe is just a spark on a marble that is being knocked into another marble by some alien on another planet/universe.

Or better yet.. could we truly be living in the Matrix?

BL.

22. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Actually, that little old lady had it right and it's still turtles all the way down. Carnegie Institute of Sciece - Everyday Cosmology

23. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

While all these theories are interesting, we don't know, and will never know what happened at the dawn of creation.

Getting too invested in any of these theories is really just wasted energy. You're going to die with a vague notion of what happened in the beginning, and that's that.

Not saying it doesn't perk my ears up when new scientific theories are presented, but really, I'm not going to get my heart rate up over it.

I much prefer tangible things like flying probes on to comets. Now that's pretty cool science there.

24. APlotdevice, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I seriously doubt anyone in the actual science community is getting their heart rate up over this. As was pointed out before, Daily Mail is a tabloid. It's their job to make up sensational headlines. (not that the regular news sources are much better these days)

25. Meister Suspended

Meister

I agree.
    It's a really boring, dry and mental subject.

Once I was actually on my way to become a physicist, but completely changed my majors after 4 semesters. Damn, that stuff was boring.